A necropolis is a large formal cemetery with implications of grandeur and decoration, possibly but not solely for significant people.
- Al Ain Al Naqfa Ridge Tombs, with the remains of a necropolis
- Ancient Thebes
- Arles Roman necropolis Alyscamps
- Bat, Al-Khutm and Al-Ayn
- Cyrene among the most extensive necropolises of the ancient world
- Early Christian Necropolis of Pécs
- Etruscan Necropolises
- Ferrara Etruscan necropolis of Spina near Comacchio
- Gebel Barkal "Later Napatan pyramids were sited at Nuri, on the west bank of the Nile in Upper Nubia. This necropolis was the burial place of 21 kings and 52 queens and princes. The oldest and largest pyramid at Nuri is that of the Napatan king and twenty-fifth dynasty pharaoh Taharqa. The most extensive Nubian pyramid site is at Meroe, which is located between the fifth and sixth cataracts of the Nile, approximately one hundred kilometres north of Khartoum. During the Meroitic period over forty kings and queens were buried there."
- Hierapolis-Pamukkale Hierapolis
- Humayun's Tomb dubbed 'the necropolis of the Mughal Dynasty'
- Ibiza Puig des Molins
- Kiev Pechersk Lavra
- Kremlin and Red Square Kremlin
- Makli, Thatta One of the largest necropolises in the world, supposed to be the burial place of some 125,000 Sufi saints
- Nan Madol Madol Pah
- Necropolis of Bet She'arim
- Nisa Reputedly the royal necropolis of the Parthian kings (wiki) Link
- Ohrid Region Trebenista
- Palmyra Outside the ancient walls, to the west, the Palmyrenes constructed a series of large-scale funerary monuments which now form the so-called Valley of Tombs, a 1 km (0.62 mi) long necropolis. (wiki)
- Paphos Tombs of the Kings
- Pompei Etruscan 6th century necropolis, Roman necropolises
- Pyramids (Memphis)
- Samarkand Shah-i-Zinda
- Syracuse Necropolis of Pantalica
- Tarraco Paleochristian necropolis
- Tchogha Zanbil
- Thracian tomb of Kazanlak
- Tyre At Al-Bass
- Vatican City 1st century Roman Necropolis
- Xanthos-Letoon Xanthos Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Necropolises
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source