- City of Bath In 1781 William Herschel discovered the planet Uranus (orginally named "The Georgian Star" after the king!)using a home made telescope operated from the garden of his house in New King St (Now the Herschel Museum of Astronomy). It was the first planet to be discovered which could not be seen by the naked eye.
- Epidaurus Development of Medicine
- Fortifications of Vauban Four solaire de Mont-Louis: The Mont-Louis Solar Furnace, is the world's first solar furnace, built in 1949, by engineer Felix Trombe Link
- Fray Bentos first place where beef extract was industrially applied
- Galapagos Islands Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection
- Isole Eolie "Studied since at least the 18th century, the islands have provided the science of vulcanology with examples of two types of eruption (Vulcanian and Strombolian) and thus have featured prominently in the education of geologists for more than 200 years. The site continues to enrich the field of vulcanology." (AB ev)
- Kew Gardens Research into Botanical diversity
- Lake Baikal Baikal Deep Underwater Neutrino Telescope
- Maritime Greenwich The Observatory - numerous Astronomical discoveries including basic measurements of "the motions of the Heavens". Also definition of Longitude
- Mount Etna "The almost continuous eruptive activity of Mount Etna continues to influence volcanology, geophysics and other Earth science disciplines." (AB ev)
- Old City of Berne Einstein's house 49 Kramgasse
- Piazza del Duomo (Pisa) Galileo's experiments linked to Cathedral and Leaning Tower (disputed)
- Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France Tour St Jacques in Paris was where Pascal carried out experiments on atmospheric pressure and there is still a meteorological laboratory installed at the top of the tower.
- Singapore Botanic Gardens Research into Botanical diversity
- St. Petersburg Mendeleev developed the concept of the Periodic Table of Elements whilst Professor of Chemistry at St Petersburg university. The apartment, which came with the job and is part of the University, is maintained as the Mendeleev museum and contains his study and papers. It is situated in what is now named Mendeleevskaya Iniya close to the Neva across from the Admiralty Link
- Struve Geodetic Arc Determination of Earth's size/shape
- Teide National Park Early meteorological observations, including those to measure the 'weight of the air' Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Scientific Developments
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source