Protestantism encompasses the forms of Christian faith and practice that originated with the doctrines of the Reformation, rejecting papal authority and doctrine.
- Amsterdam Canal Ring Oude Kerk (1306) - oldest building of the city, originally a catholic church but turned protestant in 1578 after some fierce iconoclasm
- Beemster Polder Contains a Mennonite church
- Bridgetown Calvary Moravian Church
- Canterbury Anglicanism
- Causses and Cévennes In the 16th century Protestantism spread into the Cévennes along the trade routes from Geneva. Many merchants, traders and craftsmen became converts, forming islands of Protestantism amidst Catholic farmers. (AB ev)
- Christiansfeld Founded by the Moravian Church
- Churches of Peace Lutheran churches
- Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape Gwennap Pit (situated within the Gwennap mining district) was used by John Wesley, the founder of "Methodism" as a preaching site 18 times between 1776 and 1789. It has since become a Methodist "shrine". See Link
- Edinburgh St Giles "Cathedral" (Presbyterianism)
- Gammelstad Betel Chapel (now the tourist info) was used by the Baptist congregation around the turn of the 20th century.
- Grand Place, Brussels In 1523, the first protestants were killed on the pyre here
- Graz the Landhaus was created as an architectural counter-weight against the Protestant political class against the Grazer Burg of the catholic ruler; the Protestant Foundation became a dominant force in Graz until the Counter-Reformation in 1600
- Hallstatt-Dachstein Protestant church
- Hildesheim Cathedral and Church It is now a Lutheran church, since 1542
- Jelling The church is in use by the Evangelical Lutheran Danish Church
- Luther Memorials Launching of Reformation
- Maulbronn Monastery "The Duke of W?rttemberg seized the Cistercian monastery in 1504 and built his hunting lodge and stables there. Half a century later, the former abbey was given over to a Protestant seminary, currently known as the Evangelical Seminaries of Maulbronn and Blaubeuren, which has occupied it ever since. The Protestant clerics adapted the monastic buildings for their own needs, e.g., they rebuilt the refectory." (Wiki)
- Nord-Pas de Calais Mining Basin 1360-071 Temple protestant Link
- Old Town Lunenburg Home to the Oldest continuous worshipping Lutheran and Presbyterian Congregations in Canada, both having been founded in 1753.
- Paramaribo Reformed Church (1837)
- Petäjävesi Old Church It's a Lutheran country church
- Regensburg Regensburg was the southernmost protestant city in Germany, it has prominent protestant churches (Trinity Church and Neupfarrkirche) and it was influential in spreading protestantism to neighbouring countries
- Roskilde Cathedral Fomer Catholic Cathedral turned into Protestant Church after Reformation
- Saltaire United Reform Church (Originally "Congregational")
- St. Kilda "In 1822, the Reverend John MacDonald, a renowned evangelical preacher, the 'Apostle of the North', visited St. Kilda. He set about the foundations of a puritanical religion, built upon by the Reverend Neil MacKenzie who arrived as resident minister in 1830." (AB ev)
- Strasbourg Lutheranism left a strong footprint on Strasbourg, and the Cathedral was protestant until 1681. St. Thomas now is the main protestant church.
- Valparaiso Saint Paul's Anglican Church. "The exceptional historic value of this building is closely related to its austerity, determined by the context in which it was built, when the ban on the public exercise of different creeds other than the Catholic was in full force. This church, of neo-Romanesque and neo-Gothic features, sought to keep a low profile by means of an horizontal design, the absence of a tower, the lateral accesses and the low fence that surrounds it." (Nom File)
- Vienna Reformierte Stadtkirche Link
- Wachau Cultural Landscape Schloss Spitz 1613-1720 Link
- Wartburg Castle
- Wooden Churches of the Slovak Carpathians Kezmarok church is Lutheran
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Protestantism
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source