Hyopgea are underground, pre-Christian temples or tombs.
World Heritage Sites connected to Hypogea
- Gebel Barkal AB evaluation Unlike the Egyptian pyramids which were built to enclose and hide the burial chamber,the Napatan ones are commemorative monuments to the deceased, buried in a hypogeum underneath. In front of the pyramid a small temple was built, for offerings.
- Hal Saflieni Hypogeum
- Ibiza The underground tombs in the Puig des Molins necropolis are described as "Hypogea" Link
- Palmyra Hypogeum of the 3 Brothers
- Syracuse Ipogeo di Piazza Duomo
- Thracian tomb of Sveshtari
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Hypogea
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- be explained, with reference to a source