- Central Amazon Conservation Complex
- Central Suriname Nature Reserve "Although the area of the CSNR is not within the Amazonian watershed, it is mostly covered with Amazon basin vegetation(e.g. Hylea amazonica) and is within the phytogeographic limits of Amazonia." (IUCN)
- Chavin At the headwaters of the Mara??n River, a tributary of the Amazon
- Huascaran National Park The waters on the East side of Huascaran NP drain into the Rio Maranon - a tributary of the Amazon
- Machu Picchu Machu Picchu is set above the Urubamba river. The Urubamba (also called Vilcanota and Wilcamayu) joins the Apurimac which joins the Ucayali which joins the Amazon!! The Apurimac is considered the source of the Amazon.
- Manu National Park
- Noel Kempff Mercado National Park
- Qhapaq Ñan
- Sangay National Park "Major rivers drain eastwards into the Amazon Basin"
- Santa Ana de los Rios de Cuenca "The dominant features of the city's geography are also the source of its name in Spanish: the four rivers of Cuenca (meaning a basin made by a confluence of rivers). These rivers are the Tomebamba (named after the Inca culture), Yanuncay, Tarqui and Machangara, in order of importance. .... These four rivers are part of the Amazon river watershed" (Wiki)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Amazon Basin
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source