Repainted in a different colour
Major monuments within the core zone of a WHS, that have been over the course of history repainted in a different colour.
- Lumbini the site with Buddhas remains and footprint was terra cotta in the past and is now white
- Melaka and George Town Melaka: Originally, the Stadhuys like the other Dutch administrative buildings in South East Asia was painted white. However, after Melaka was handed over to the British, it was re-painted terra cotta by the British in 1911.
- Struve Geodetic Arc Tartu Observatory in Estonia: from bright yellow to white
- Trinity Sergius Lavra Repainted in much more bright colours: Gate Church of St John the Baptist which is now technicolor
- Upper Middle Rhine Valley Mouse Tower in Bingen and the Pfalzgrafenstein Castle, both were recently painted in white with red elements Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Repainted in a different colour
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source