Bombarded by the British Navy
WHS which have at some time (pre-WWI) been "bombarded" by the British Navy.
- Cartagena March 1741 during the War of Jenkins Ear - with Spain Link
- Fortress of Suomenlinna Aug 1855 for 2 days with the French Navy during the Crimean War (When it was owned by Russia)
- Forts and Castles Gold Coast the Royal Navy under Captain Thomas Shirley fired upon Dutch-occupied Fort St. Jago from the HMS Leander during the Battle of Elmina in 1782 Link
- Island of Gorée the Royal Navy under Admiral Augustus Keppel bombarded the French-occupied fortress on the island and then captured it in December 1758 during the Seven Years War. Link
- Kasbah of Algiers 27 Aug 1816 Link
- Old City of Acre the Royal Navy and the Austrian Navy bombarded the port and city of Acre during the ouster of Muhammed Ali Pasha in November 1840 Link
- Old Havana 1762 during the 7 Year's War Link
- Portobelo-San Lorenzo the Royal Navy bombarded the Spanish-held Todo Fierro fort and Santiago fortress in Panama during the Battle of Porto Bello in November 1739 as part of the War of Jenkins' Ear Link
- Québec 1690 Strictly by the American Colonists who were later to become the "US" rather than the "British"! Failed but led to the construction of the defences we see today Link
- San Pedro de la Roca Castle the Royal Navy under Rear Admiral Charles Knowles unsuccessfully bombarded this Cuban, Spanish-occupied castle, also called the Castillo del Morro, in April 1748 during the War of Jenkins' Ear. Link
- Solovetsky Islands "During the Crimean War, the Solovetsky Monastery was attacked by three British ships. After nine hours of shelling on the 6 and 7 July 1855 the vessels left with nothing." (Wiki)
- Stone Town of Zanzibar the Royal Navy launched a bombardment of the Sultan's palace during the very brief Anglo-Zanzibar War in August 1896 Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Bombarded by the British Navy
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source