Under control of ISIS
WHS that are (or have been) under control of the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
- Ashur As of March 7, 2015, the city is in ISIL held territory (wiki)
- Hatra Actions by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, which occupied the area in mid-2014, have been a major threat to Hatra. (wiki)
- Palmyra On 21 May 2015, some artifacts were removed from the Palmyra museum by the Syrian curators and transported in 2 trucks to Damascus. ... The same day, ISIL forces entered the World Heritage Site (wiki) - On 27 March 2016 the site was recaptured by Syrian government troops.
- Sabratha Since Dec 10, 2015. They have been ousted by "a combination of US airstrikes and attacks by local forces" in February/March 2016. Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Under control of ISIS
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source