Desert Cultural Landscapes
Cultural WHS where the OUV derives from its desert location. Sites do not have to be Cultural Landscapes per se.
- Agadez Crit iv "From the 15th century, Agadez, "the gateway to the desert", became an exceptional crossroads for the caravan trade."
- Ancient ksours Crit iii "The Ksour bear unique witness to a nomadic culture and trade in a desert environment. "
- Incense Route of the Negev Criterion (v): The almost fossilized remains of towns, forts, caravanserais and sophisticated agricultural systems strung out along the Incense Route in the Negev desert, display an outstanding response to a hostile desert environment and one that flourished for five centuries.
- Maymand Semi-desert, State Party is advised to promote the concept of Desert Cultural Landscapes
- Meroe Crit v "The major centres of human activity far from the Nile at Musawwarat and Naqa raise questions as to their viability in what is today an arid zone devoid of permanent human settlement. They offer the possibility, through a detailed study of the palaeoclimate, flora, and fauna, of understanding the interaction of the Kushites with their desert hinterland."
- Rock Art in the Hail Region Great Nafud Desert
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Desert Cultural Landscapes
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source