- Humberstone and Santa Laura Saltpeter Works
- Mammoth Cave "Saltpetre deposits were discovered on the cave walls and this valuable nitrate was removed and sent to be processed in gunpowder factories between 1809 and 1819." (AB eval)
- Rjukan / Notodden "Rjukan was formerly a significant industrial centre in Telemark, and the town was established between 1905 and 1916, when Norsk Hydro started saltpetre (fertilizer) production there. " (wiki)
- Shirakawa-go and Gokayama "Making saltpeter, an ingredient in gunpowder, was an important industry for the region during the Edo Period." There's a Saltpeter museum in Suganuma village Link
- Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District Chilehaus was built for Henry Brarens Sloman (1848-1931). He made his fortune in Chile in Saltpeter mining. On returning to Hamburg he commissioned the "Chilehaus" naming it after the source of his wealth
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Saltpeter
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source