A virgin, primeval or old-growth forest is a forest that has attained great age without significant disturbance.
- Belovezhskaya Pushcha / Bialowieza Forest including extensive old-growth forests (AB ev crit IX)
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park Bwindi Impenetrable Forest is a large primeval forest (wiki)
- Hubei Shennongjia
- Primeval Beech Forests contains the largest remaining primeval beech forests in Europe (AB ev)
- Redwood The parks protect 38,982 acres (157.75 km2) of old-growth forest (wiki)
- Shirakami-Sanchi the largest remaining virgin beech forest in East Asia (AB ev)
- Shiretoko The terrestrial ecosystem has various types of virgin vegetation (AB ev)
- Vallée de Mai retains primeval palm forest in a near-natural state (AB ev)
- Virgin Komi Forests one of the most extensive areas of virgin boreal forest remaining in Europe (AB ev)
- Yakushima It contains a unique remnant of a warm-temperate primeval forest (AB ev crit IX)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Virgin Forests
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source