Named after a different location
WHS named after a location elsewhere in the World. Excluding WHS named after people whose title includes another location (See - "Named after an Individual")
- Blenheim Palace Named after the "Battle of Blenheim" which took place on 13 Aug 1704 during the War of the Spanish succession. It was won by John Churchill 1st Duke of Marlboroughand his palace commemorates the victory in its name. "Blindheim (in English also known as Blenheim) is a municipality in the Bavarian district of Dillingen in southern Germany, consisting of several villages." (Wiki)
- Carlsbad Caverns "The town of Carlsbad, which lends its name to the Cavern and National Park, is in turn named after the Czech town formerly known by the German name Karlsbad (English spelling Carlsbad) and now known by the Czech name Karlovy Vary, both of which mean "Charles' Bath[s]." (Wiki)
- Cartagena "The city was founded on June 1, 1533, and named after Cartagena Spain" (Wiki)
- Olympic National Park Named after the "Olympic Range" of mountains in Western Washington state whose highest peak is Mt Olympus. "Mount Olympus was sighted in 1774 by the Spanish explorer Juan Perez, who named it "El Cerro de la Santa Rosalia". This is said to be the first time a European named a geographic feature in what is now Washington state. In 1778, on July 4, the British explorer John Meares gave the mountain its present name" after the Greek mountain (Wiki)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Named after a different location
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source