- Carlsbad Caverns "Mining for guano and tourism have had some effects on the integrity of some of the 81 caves found in CCNP. During the period 1903-1923 an estimated 100,000 tons of bat guano was removed by hand tools from the entrance areas of the accessible caves" (AB Eval)
- Grand Canyon Bat Cave Mine was the site of significant investment to extract guano commercially in the 1950s - but small volumes and low price made the project unsuccessful. The mine is on the north side of the Colorado river and became a part of the National Park in 1974 (pre-inscription). An aerial ropeway was built to take the guano to the south rim within the Hualapai Indian Reservation at "Guano Point" (outside the NP). Link
- Papahanaumokuakea "In 1890, Laysan was leased by the Hawaiian Kingdom to the North Pacific Phosphate and Fertilizer Company for a period of 20 years. Guano mining and digging occurred on Laysan from 1892 to 1904. This period saw the construction of several buildings, including a lighthouse and a small railroad, which supported this trade; between 100 and 125 tons of guano could be shipped from Laysan per day" Nomin file. Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Guano 'Mining'
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source