Sites along the river Nile.
World Heritage Sites connected to Nile
- Ancient Thebes
- Gebel Barkal
- Historic Cairo
- Meroe The City as opposed to the more famous Cemetaries with their pyramids is very close to the Nile "Meroe is in two parts: Meroe 1 (town site) west of the highway covers 612.551ha and Meroe 2 (cemetery site) east of the highway covers 674.904ha....... The site of the royal city of Meroe, known today as Begraweya, is near the banks of the river Nile about 220 north of Khartoum....... The bath structure .....was supplied by a brick vaulted, cement-lined aqueduct. Filling the basin depended on the water level of the Nile;it was only operative at the high Nile and was associated with inundation, the New Year and by extension, the cult of the ruler " (AB Eval)
- Nubian Monuments
- Pyramids (Memphis)
- Rwenzori Mountains the glaciers of the Rwenzori park are seen as one of the sources of the Nile
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Nile
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- be explained, with reference to a source