Italian fascist architecture
World Heritage Sites connected to Italian fascist architecture
- Florence Sta Maria Novella station. constructed 1932-4 " The plan of the building, as seen from above, looks as if it were based on the "fascio littorio" the symbol of Benito Mussolini's National Fascist Party, many documents give this explanation, but, that shape was forced by the pre-existing station. The "blade" represented by the first two passenger tracks and the postal ones were in fact the extension of the 1861 alignment which included the tracks of the line from Livorno." (Wiki). This interpretation is elsewhere disputed.
- Rhodes Palace of the Grand Master. - An earlier building was destroyed by explosion in 1856 and stood in ruins until reconstructed by Italian architects under the instructions of Mussolini in 1937 as a holiday home for himself/royalty/aristocracy.
- Rome Viale Aventino with Palazzio FAO (originally intended for the Ministry of Colonies when planned in 1938)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Italian fascist architecture
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- be explained, with reference to a source