Sir Marc Aurel Stein (26 November 1862 - 26 October 1943) was a Hungarian-British archaeologist, primarily known for his explorations and archaeological discoveries in Central Asia. He was also a professor at various Indian universities. (wiki)
- Mogao Caves Stein's greatest discovery was made at the Mogao Caves also known as "Caves of the Thousand Buddhas", near Dunhuang in 1907. It was there that he discovered the Diamond Sutra, the world's oldest printed text which has a date (corresponding to AD 868), along with 40,000 other scrolls (wiki)
- Shahr-i Sokhta The site was discovered and investigated by Aurel Stein in the early 1900s. (wiki)
- Silk Roads For Mogao Caves
- Takht-i-Bahi Visited Sahri-Bahlol Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Aurel Stein
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source