The British East India Company (EIC)
WHS connected to the British East India Company. English (later British) joint stock company formed in 1600 to trade with the East Indies. "The Company eventually came to rule large areas of India with its own private armies, exercising military power and assuming administrative functions.[Company rule in India effectively began in 1757 after the Battle of Plassey and lasted until 1858 when, following the Indian Rebellion of 1857, the Government of India Act 1858 led to the British Crown to assume direct control of India in the new British Raj." (Wiki) See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_India_Company
- Agra Fort Was captured from the Marathas in 1803 by forces of the British EIC. They turned it into a garrison for EIC soldiers and demolished a number of the buildings inside. During the Indian Rebellion of 1857 against EIC rule the EIC forces were besieged inside the fort
- Macao The Company established the Old Protestant Cemetery in 1821 " in response to a lack of burial sites for Protestants in the Roman Catholic Portuguese Colony" (Wiki) Link
- Melaka and George Town The Island of Penang was ceded to the Briitish EIC in 1786 and Fort Cornwallis was created by it to protect the island and became its administrative centre (See link) in 1826 Penang, Malacca and Singapore were merged into the Straits Settlements but still under EIC control. In 1867 they were made Crown Colonies. Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to The British East India Company (EIC)
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source