WHS connected to the practice of diving for pearls.
- Al Zubarah The walled coastal town of Al Zubarah in the Gulf flourished as a pearling and trading centre in the late 18th century (Unesco website)
- Ruins of Kilwa Kisiwani and Songo Mnara From the 13th to the 16th century, the merchants of Kilwa dealt in gold, silver, pearls, perfumes, Arabian crockery, Persian earthenware and Chinese porcelain; much of the trade in the Indian Ocean thus passed through their hands. (Brief description)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Pearling
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source