Architectural design competitions
Notable constructions (that are part of WHS) where the architectural design was chosen after a competition.
World Heritage Sites connected to Architectural design competitions
- Brasilia Lucio Costa and Oscar Niemeyer won a competition to design the new city in 1956
- Central University City Campus of the UNAM The master plan for the campus was the result of an architectural competition, in which architects Mario Pani and Enrique del Moral were awarded (Unesco website)
- Florence Brunelleschi won the competition to design the cathedral in 1418.
- Rome De Sanctis won a competition to design the Spanish Steps in 1717.
- Sydney Opera House Utzon won a competition to design the opera in 1957.
- Westminster Westminster Palace - Charles Barry won competition for reconstruction in 1836.
- White City of Tel-Aviv Dizengoff Circus - 1934. "Won" (actually she was placed 2nd and no 1st prize was awarded!) by Genia Averbuch. Nom File Page 65 - also Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Architectural design competitions
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- be explained, with reference to a source