WHS where the OUV is derived from a fusion of cultural influences.
- Arab-Norman Palermo syncretism between Western, Islamic and Byzantine cultures
- Arequipa "creative integration of European and native characteristics"
- Ayutthaya "All buildings were elegantly decorated with the highest quality of crafts and mural paintings, which consisted of an eclectic mixture of traditional styles surviving from Sukhothai, inherited from Angkor, and borrowed from the 17th and 18th century art styles of Japan, China, India, Persia and Europe, creating a rich and unique expression of a cosmopolitan culture"
- Cathedral of St. James in Sibenik "The Cathedral of St James is the fruitful outcome of considerable interchanges of influences between the three culturally different regions of Northern Italy, Dalmatia, and Tuscany"
- Chichen-Itza "The fusion of Mayan construction techniques with new elements from central Mexico make Chichen-Itza one of the most important examples of the Mayan-Toltec civilization in Yucatán"
- Churches of Chiloé "fusion of European and indigenous cultural traditions"
- Colonia del Sacramento "successful fusion of the Portuguese, Spanish and post-colonial styles"
- Dazu Rock Carvings "Tantric Buddhism from India and Chinese Taoist and Confucian beliefs came together at Dazu"
- Golestan Palace successful integration of earlier Persian crafts and architecture with Western influences (brief description)
- Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain fusion of ancient shamanic and Buddhist practices (AB ev)
- Gusuku of Ryukyu "cultural interchange between South-East Asia, China, Korea and Japan, and this is vividly demonstrated by the surviving monuments"
- Hoi An "Hoi An is an outstanding material manifestation of the fusion of cultures over time in an international commercial port."
- Hwaseong Fortress "The Hwaseong Fortress represents the pinnacle of 18th century military architecture, incorporating the best of that from Europe and from the Far East."
- Kaiping Diaolou "fusion between Chinese and Western architectural styles"
- Kii Mountain Range "unique fusion between Shintoism and Buddhism"
- Lamu Old Town "The town is characterized by narrow streets and magnificent stone buildings with impressive curved doors, influenced by unique fusion of Swahili, Arabic, Persian, Indian and European building styles." Link
- Levuka reflects the integration of local building traditions by a supreme naval power, leading to the emergence of a unique landscape (brief description)
- Luang Prabang "fusion of traditional architecture and Lao urban structures with those built by the European colonial authorities"
- Macao "unique testimony to the first and longest-lasting encounter between the West and China. ... The impact of this encounter can be traced in the fusion of different cultures that characterise the historic core zone of Macao."
- Mountain Railways of India "The DHR links not only the plains with the high Himalaya, but also two distinct cultural traditions - the Hindu culture of Bengal and the Buddhist culture of the mountain region. As a result Darjeeling, which lies at an important nodal point, reflects a cultural fusion between these two cultures (not forgetting, also, the British influence)." (AB eval)
- Namhansanseong "It bears witness to a synthesis of both military and urban concepts stemming from Korean, Chinese, Japanese and European influences, with the use for the first time of Western firearms." - AB Evaluation
- Old Town of Galle showing the interaction between European architectural styles and South Asian traditions (unesco website)
- Paramaribo "gradual fusion of European architecture and construction techniques with indigenous South America materials and crafts to create a new architectural idiom"
- Petra "outstanding fusion of Hellenistic architecture with Eastern tradition"
- Puebla "aesthetic concepts resulting from the fusion of European and American styles were adopted locally"
- Red Fort "fusion of Islamic, Persian, Timurid and Hindu traditions"
- São Francisco Square Criterion (ii): The Sao Francisco Square represents the outcome of the merging of the modes of territorial occupation and settlement of Portugal and Spain according to which urban settlements were established in their respective colonial empires. This property exhibits an important fusion of urban models, which occurred during the unification under one crown of two rival Empires.
- San Antonio Missions of Spanish and Coahuiltecan cultures
- Stone Town of Zanzibar "brought together and homogenized disparate elements of the cultures of Africa, the Arab region, India, and Europe"
- Sukhothai "The great civilization which evolved in the kingdom of Sukhothai was a tributary of numerous influences and ancient local traditions, but the rapid assimilation of all these elements forged, in record time, what is known as the Sukhothai style."
- Vigan Its architecture reflects the coming together of cultural elements from elsewhere in the Philippines, from China and from Europe
- Xochicalco fusion of cultural elements from different parts of Mesoamerica (AB ev, crit iv)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Fusion
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source