World's Highest Topographically isolated summits
4. World's Highest Topographically isolated summits
WHS containing one of the World's 40 most isolated summits. (Isolation in kms/Ht in m)
"The topographic isolation of a summit is the Great Circle distance to the nearest point of equal elevation. Topographic isolation represents a radius of dominance in which the summit is the highest point." (Wiki). See here.
Isolation Map - link.
World Heritage Sites connected to World's Highest Topographically isolated summits
- Fujisan 28th, 2076.66 km
- Hawaii Volcanoes Mauna Kea 8th most isolated (3947/4205)
- Heard and McDonald Islands Mawson Peak, Heard Island 30th most isolated (2046/2745)
- Huascaran National Park 25th most isolated (2196/6746)
- Kilimanjaro National Park 4th most isolated (5509/5895)
- Kinabalu Park Mt Kinabalu 19th most isolated (2513/4095)
- Lorentz National Park Puncak Jaya 5th most isolated (5261/4884)
- Pitons of Reunion Piton de Neiges 14th most isolated (2766/3071)
- Sagarmatha National Park Mt Everest By definition the most isolated (Infinity/8848)
- Te Wahipounamu Mt Cook 10th most isolated (3139/37540)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to World's Highest Topographically isolated summits
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- be explained, with reference to a source