WHS connected with "Oldest Companies". Cut-off for commencement of company is pre 1500 and maintaining existence through to at least late 20th Century. Must have been connected with the WHS location from before the commencement cut off date (rather than moving there later as e.g Barovier & Toso at Murano ) and demonstate a continous line of existence even allowing for take-overs/mergers etc. "Company" is defined as including any form of "trading entity" primarily concerned with offering products and/or services in return for money
- Falun Great Copper Mountain The first share of "Stora Kopparberg" operating at Falun dates to 1288. Charter granted by Magnus IV in 1347. Claimed to be the oldest existing coporation or limited liability company in the world Link
- Salzburg "Stiffskeller St Peter" within St Peter,s Archabbey. The restaurant first was first documented as operating in 803. Claims to be oldest Inn in Central Europe . Link
- Siena "Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena S.p.A." Oldest continously operating Bank in the world. Founded in 1472, originaally on "charitable principles" as a pawnbroker with the aim of covering its operating costs whilst avoiding usury.
- Town Hall and Roland, Bremen Ratskeller Bremen, the council wine cellar of the Town Hall of Bremen. Erected in the year 1405.
- Wieliczka and Bochnia Royal Salt Mines "Żupy krakowskie" was a Polish salt mining company which operated continuously (At Wieliscka and elsewhere) from its inception in the 13th century ("Around 1290") to the late 20th century. (Production ceased in 1992 - UNESCO)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Oldest companies
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source