Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain
The Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain and its surrounding sacred landscape is associated with Genghis Khan and the Mongolian nation as described in 'The Secret History of the Mongols'.
It is considered the most sacred mountain in Mongolia, with a fusion of Buddhist and shamanic features.
Share your experiences!
Have you been to Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain? Click here to add your own review.
Full name: Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain and its surrounding sacred landscape
2015 - InscribedReasons for inscription
2015 - Advisory Body overruledICOMOS advised referral
2015 - RevisionIn final stage of nomination, locations were limited from 3 to 1 by State Party. Sacred Binder Mountain and Baldan Bereeven Monastery were omitted.
The site has 10 connections.
- Boreal Forest / Taiga "where the vast Central Asian steppe meets the coniferous forests of the Siberian taiga"
- Genghis Khan Closely associated with his birth and burial place
- Built in the 12th century At the end of the 12th century Chinggis Khan formally established worship of the Burkhan Khaldun Mountain, along with other sacred mountains in his empire - AB ev
WHS on Other Lists
- Memory of the World OUV related to The Secret History of the Mongols
World Heritage Process
- Reduced from broader TWHS The TWHS also consisted of 2 other sacred locations, Sacred Binder Mountain & Baldan Bereeven Monastery, which were deleted from the nomination before ICOMOS ev