The Historic Monuments of Dengfeng in "The Centre of Heaven and Earth" are 8 groups of sites located at the foot of the sacred Mount Songshan.
These sites are:
- Taishi Que Gates, Zhongue Temple
- Shaoshi Que Gates
- Qimu Que Gates
- Songye Temple Pagoda
- Architectural Complex of Shaolin Temple (Kernel Compound, Chuzu Temple, Pagoda Forest)
- Huishan Temple
- Songyang Academy of Classical Learning
Joyce van Soest - January 2011
I visited Dengfeng in 2009 and I didn't know it was going to be a WHS at that time. The reason I came here was the famous Shaolin monastery. Besides Chinese tourist groups, there was little tourist infrastructure for the individual tourist (it was hard finding a hotel and restaurant) so I didn't know about the other important places in the area. Visiting the Shaolin temple was impressive though. The complex is large and I especially liked the large wall with frescos (see picture). There's also a large pagoda forest and some other temples. Going up the mountain you will get to the cave where Boddhidarma meditated for nine years and where apparently zen Buddhism started and also Shaolin boxing
Share your experiences!
Have you been to Dengfeng? Click here to add your own review.
Full name: Historic Monuments of Dengfeng in "The Centre of Heaven and Earth"
2010 - InscribedReasons for inscription
2010 - RevisionIncludes the former TWHS Songshan (2001)
2009 - Referred"Nominating the Observatory on its own", and other selective issues (as former TWHS Songshan)
The site has 8 locations.
The site has 14 connections. Show all
- Brick architecture Songyue Pagoda - "the earliest known Chinese brick pagoda" (wiki)
Religion and Belief
- Confucianism Songyang Confucian Academy
- Pagoda Songyue Pagoda (brick) - twelve stories (40 meters); Northern Wei Dynasty *Pagoda Forest - 241 pagodas (brick, stone) - ten stories and below; Tang to Qing Dynasty
- Sacred Mountains Mount Song
- Taoism Zhongyue Taoist Temple AB)
- Zen Shaolin Temple of Dengfeng, China, is where the first Zen or Chan patriarch founded the Zen school
- Built in the 2nd century The nominated buildings were initially constructed over a span of eighteen centuries between 118 AD and the 20th century. The Tishi, Shaoshi and Qimu Gates have survived since Han times
- Epic Subtitles in "The Centre of Heaven and earth"
- Zhengzhou Hotspot 1.5 - 2 hours by bus to Shaolin Temple