General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /

WHS boundaries

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  
Author david
Registered
#31 | Posted: 30 Oct 2010 12:10 
Regarding the problem of Mexico City's WHS boundaries, the historic centre has also been inscribed this year as part of the Camino Real de Tierra Adentro, and surely the boundaries of the two sites overlap. There is now a clear map of the boundaries of Mexico City among the maps of the Camino Real, together with those of Querétaro, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato and Zacatecas: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1351/multiple=1&unique_number=1691

Author Solivagant
Registered
#32 | Posted: 1 Jun 2011 18:13 | Edited by: Solivagant 
It appears that Russia is still trying to determine the boundaries of all those many St Petersburg sites - and, perhaps even more surprisingly, its OUV!!

http://www.armenpress.am/eng/news/653995/

See page 2 of this forum post above for our earlier discussions on this subject back in Feb 2010

Author Solivagant
Registered
#33 | Posted: 15 May 2012 11:31 
Chan Chan

I have just noticed a "news cutting" on this Web site for Chan Chan. It is dated 1 May 2007 and states
"After studying the damage, the Peruvian government decided to designate S/1.5 million (US$465,000) to protect the Tschudi Palace, and the Esmeralda and Arco Iris ruins which are all located within the UNESCO World Heritage Site."

I can find absolutely no evidence that the sites of Huaca Esmeralda and Huaca Arco Iris (also called "El Dragon") are within the "UNESCO World Heritage Site".
The map of Chan Chan with the AB evaluation (which dates back to 1986) doesn't show any other locations and I have found no reference in any of the UNESCO documents

Yet.........

Rather strangely the ticket for entry to Chan Chan also allows entry to these other 2 sites. Esmeralda is situated fairly close to Chan Chan in the Mansiche suburb of Trujillo whilst Arco Iris is a bit further north.

It is rather strange that a ticket for a WHS would also allow entry to a non WHS site but .....

Almost certainly they are not and the quoted source was incorrect - but does anyone know for certain or why they should be included on the Chan Chan ticket?

Author elsslots
Admin
#34 | Posted: 16 May 2012 01:15 
Solivagant:
I can find absolutely no evidence that the sites of Huaca Esmeralda and Huaca Arco Iris (also called "El Dragon") are within the "UNESCO World Heritage Site".

I don't think it is included either. Probably the 3 sites are managed by the same organization.

I've visited Arco Iris, a rather small site but with good reliefs:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32282344@N08/5676276896/in/set-72157626586401474

Author Jakob
Registered
#35 | Posted: 26 Jul 2017 04:26 
I am very keen to actually provide the infromation of boundaries on this website as well as on wikipedia:
I started to draw a map in GM pointing out the Berlin Modern Housing estates.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lqRHI9C4I8iRcKFBGpXa-IWqmTg&usp=sharing
Would it not be possible, to add this information on the website? it looks so much better than just the dots, and carrys way more information. As i said, i want to include the info on wikipedia as well.
Do you have any suggestions, how that could look like?

Author nfmungard
Registered
#36 | Posted: 26 Jul 2017 04:51 
Jakob:
Would it not be possible, to add this information on the website? it looks so much better than just the dots, and carrys way more information. As i said, i want to include the info on wikipedia as well.
Do you have any suggestions, how that could look like?

The way we store the data areas are not (yet) possible. Feature requests would belong to the Technical Backlog thread anyhow. Personally, I would rather go with POIs first, before doing whole areas and borders.

As short term solution, Els can just add a link to the document in the site links menu.

Author Jakob
Registered
#37 | Posted: 26 Jul 2017 06:44 
The question arises: Is it possible to extract Vector data from the boundaries from the pictures or Pdf of the Maps?

For the Berlin Modernist Estates example i did an overlay in google earth and drew a line along the boundaries to form a polygon, that i can safe as a KML file!
Is there a software or a possiblity in Google earth to automatically drew a line along the boundaries e.g. red line?
That would be really helpful, especially for Nationalparks etc with wigly boundaries.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#38 | Posted: 26 Jul 2017 07:04 
Jakob

Based on your comments I found how we could implement this rather easily:
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/kml?hl=en

We could simply store the KML file on the webserver and embed that. So that would be an easy way to hold the data. Data would only show on the site itself (or possibly in a sub page).

Regarding automation: No idea. I think this will be a highly manual effort.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#39 | Posted: 26 Jul 2017 07:56 | Edited by: Solivagant 
nfmungard:
We could simply store the KML file on the webserver and embed that.

Seems a nice facility particularly for Natural sites where our arbitrarily placed "dot" is a bit "thin" on detailed info.
Publicly available KLM files exist for the boundaries of all Natural/Mixed WHS up to and including the additions in 2011 - are they likely to be of any use? Other Natural sites may also have been done elsewhere but would need searches on the Web to discover
The 2012 UNESCO "collection" from IUCN etc etc is here - http://whc.unesco.org/en/news/853

Author Jakob
Registered
#40 | Posted: 26 Jul 2017 08:10 
This is just beautiful:

http://unep-wcmc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=5be52ce85a7e47ac8211 6ffae21e587f

The say the page is gettimng updated this year for the nominations of 2015-2017
It would be great if the date could be displayed on this website and on wikipedia as wells, for all WHS and even better with the buffer zones.

How do you get the KML files from the website, I looked through the source code but couldnt find anything?

Author nfmungard
Registered
#41 | Posted: 26 Jul 2017 08:34 
Jakob:
How do you get the KML files from the website, I looked through the source code but couldnt find anything?

Seeing it's their data I would rather only link to them than copy it. Or we need to ask for permission to use the data.

I like how our map looks better, though. Not sure what they configured as it seems to be based on google maps, too.

Author Jakob
Registered
#42 | Posted: 26 Jul 2017 08:37 
Oh, it is already updated! The boundaries of all primeval forests are already in! However some boundaries dont seem consisten with what i have found on the WHS website e.g. What is the long strip on the slovakian border to Poland? An extension?

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#43 | Posted: 26 Jul 2017 08:42 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
That is really great Jakob, I love how those look. For a previous job I had to create lots of similar maps (I loved doing it but it is very time consuming).

I was never able to find anything that could convert from pdf to kml though I think it does exist. I haven't looked into it for about four years though.

Hopefully buried in my archive I still have all the English, Welsh and Czech cultural sites mapped out in a similar format to Jakob's Berlin housing estates map. It may take me some time to find them though.

You may also be interested in Protected Planet (I think Solivagant may have flagged it to me years ago, though I'm not sure). You used to be able to download all the shape files on it, but it became difficult to do so last time I tried.

Will try to come back with some more info when I have a little more time.

Author Walter
Registered
#44 | Posted: 26 Jul 2017 12:53 
Jakob
What is the long strip on the slovakian border to Poland?
It is Stuzica-Bulovske vrchy Park, part of the original 2006 nomination.

Author Jakob
Registered
#45 | Posted: 3 Aug 2017 08:37 
Almost all sites on the Unesco website have updated maps of the corezone or bufferzone.

There must be a method to get vectors from, eg. the red line on a map and transfer these vectors onto a google map or OSM.
That way, we could one by one just take one site and store the boundaries on e.g google ior even on the worldheritagesite.org map.

Any ideas, someone?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS / WHS boundaries Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®