General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /

WHC 2016 - Livestream

Page  Page 2 of 19:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17  18  19  Next »  
Author elsslots
Admin
#16 | Posted: 13 Jul 2016 11:16 | Edited by: elsslots 
Kazakhstan has prepared an amendment to prevent inscription in Danger, trying to be a good neighbour I guess.

They're laughed at by the others, so it will be In Danger! (and the Uzbeks must be glad that it will not be Deleted)

Author elsslots
Admin
#17 | Posted: 13 Jul 2016 11:27 
Ready for today! The Uzbek interlude was quite entertaining.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#18 | Posted: 13 Jul 2016 11:29 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Yep, the Uzbek bit brought some entertainment, especially the bit where they suggested the photos of demolitions weren't important, and that they hadn't seen them before.

The response from ICOMOS was short and sharp, Yes they are important, and we sent the report a while ago!

Author elsslots
Admin
#19 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 02:58 | Edited by: elsslots 
Started again. They're now discussing to inscribe all Libyan WHS In Danger (draft proposed by Lebanon).

Decision Adopted!

Author winterkjm
Registered
#20 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 05:20 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Ukraine's push for inscription on the world heritage in danger list for the Ancient City of Tauric Chersonese and its Chora

Nothing much happened.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#21 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 05:42 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Turkish Chairperson leaves (break?), and interesting lady fills in but does not know what to do or say? Mic is turned off, while she is informed on what to do. She seems like a sweet person (giggles when hitting the gavel), and she's learning now.

Author elsslots
Admin
#22 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 10:52 
Bialowieza Forest just placed in Danger too? (amendment of the Original proposed decision, which said a possible placement in Danger next year). I did not hear it all

Author elsslots
Admin
#23 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 11:33 
Portugal delegate is surprised that there are no native English speakers on the 'other side' of the desk (UNESCO Bureau, IUCN) , to grammatically correctly phrase the decisions.

Welcome to the 21st century!

Author elsslots
Admin
#24 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 11:37 | Edited by: elsslots 
Observer allowed to speak. Represents Greenpeace & WWF. Focuses on Russia's natural WHS. Noone reacts.

Author elsslots
Admin
#25 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 11:40 | Edited by: elsslots 
Switzerland has decided to double its financial contribution to the WH Fund! Australia and Turkey will also pay more voluntarily.

Author elsslots
Admin
#26 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 12:03 
End of session for today

Author Solivagant
Registered
#27 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 12:12 | Edited by: Solivagant 
meltwaterfalls:
The only thing of note I picked up was that Liverpool's In Danger listing was elevated. There was the addition of an ultimatum that if progress wasn't made in amending the new buildings north of the centre then it will be removed from the list. I didn't catch if there was a deadline put on it though.

This is a video of the entire Liverpool discussion - 27 minutes. As far as I could make out, no deadline was added. ICOMOS really has the bit between its teeth on this one! UK response is very convoluted "our laws don't allow the government to intervene at this time ... but something will (probably??) be done before anything gets built so why worry about it now... oh and this is a developing city which must be allowed to develop......."
No real attempt to argue against ICOMOS case that the proposed developments would destroy the OUV. ICOMOS suggests that Peel Holdings could unilaterally agree to change their plans if Liverpool Council and English Heritage can't legally do anything at this stage!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLZdPVcdI-A

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#28 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 12:14 
elsslots:
Australia and Turkey will also pay more voluntarily.

I wonder how much of that "voluntary" contribution is to do with the Great Barrier Reef being removed from the report on climate change and world heritage sites. (Forum) (Guardian)

Author elsslots
Admin
#29 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 12:15 | Edited by: elsslots 
Looking forward to tomorrow: there still is no document 8a available, which should contain the updated Tentative Lists. Anyone heard anything about it during the meeting?

Furthermore it would be nice if someone could follow and type a live report here about the morning session tomorrow, when the first discussions about the new WHS take place. I have to go to work, but hope to be able to follow the afternoon session.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#30 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 13:43 
elsslots:
Bialowieza Forest just placed in Danger too?

If it has been then I think it will be the first Transnational Site ever to be so??
All Poland's "fault"??

Page  Page 2 of 19:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17  18  19  Next » 
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS / WHC 2016 - Livestream Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®