General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /

WHC 2016 - Livestream

Page  Page 18 of 19:  « Previous  1  ...  16  17  18  19  Next »  
Author Colvin
Registered
#256 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 13:34 
Yup. And it sounds like many delegations are not entirely clear on the standards for referral vs. deferral. The Lebanese representative is even in favor of combining referrals and deferrals.

Author Colvin
Registered
#257 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 13:35 
Poland invites next year's session to be held in Kraków in July.

Author elsslots
Admin
#258 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 13:36 
Colvin:
clarifying their position

He is not entirely right, as proved by director of the WH center Mechtild Rössler. The difference is, as I explained to tsunami earlier in the discussion, only whether you can go it alone (referral) or need to have a visit again from IUCN or ICOMOS (deferral).

Author elsslots
Admin
#259 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 13:38 
Vietnam also had wanted to organize!

Author Colvin
Registered
#260 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 13:41 
Right - and if the Lebanese representative, amongst others, are confused about all the requirements that separate a referral and deferral, maybe the WHC needs to revisit the topic in a future session.

Author Colvin
Registered
#261 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 13:42 
Maybe that was why Vietnam was so active this year! I hope they can host in a future year.

Author Colvin
Registered
#262 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 13:43 
Thanks for all of the updates, everyone. I enjoyed following this session!

Author elsslots
Admin
#263 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 13:50 | Edited by: elsslots 
Thanks to all indeed. Mechtild Rössler presents everybody with a nice atlas. Unfortunately I cannot present it to you.

Palestine gets the last word, is disappointed that the Jerusalem issue was left out of the agenda. Will be postponed to Paris meeting in October.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#264 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 13:55 
Yep thanks everyone. Hope people have increased their tally, or if not have some new holiday plans.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#265 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 15:20 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Summary
- 21 New inscriptions
- China becomes only the 2nd state to reach 50 WHS
- Japan, Iran, and Brazil reach 20 or more WHS, UK reached 30
- 3 sites inscribed for India
- 7 deferrals overturned in favor of inscription
- Two states (Micronesia and Antigua) have 1st site inscribed
- 4 sites from the Top Missing (Khangchendzonga National Park, Le Corbusier, Nan Madol, and Ur)
- Switzerland will have 0 nominations on tentative list
- 1st successful nomination by Montenegro in 30 years
- Most natural inscriptions since 2008, most mixed inscriptions since 1988

Region Inscriptions
8 Asia
6 Europe + Canada
2 Arab States
2 Latin America
2 Africa
1 Le Corbusier (3 continents)

12 Cultural
6 Natural
3 Mixed

Small Pacific Island States Inscriptions
Chief Roi Mata's Domain (Vanuatu) 2008
Bikini Atoll Nuclear Test Site (Marshall Islands) 2010
Phoenix Islands Protected Area (Kiribati) 2012
Rock Islands Southern Lagoon (Palau) 2012
Levuka Historical Port Town (Fiji) 2013
Nan Madol: Ceremonial Centre of Eastern Micronesia 2016

http://whc.unesco.org/en/pacific2009

Author elsslots
Admin
#266 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 15:30 
Good wrap-up, winterkjm. Thanks.
Unfortunately there's something wrong with the databaseserver at the moment so the dynamic pages won't load. The hosting company is looking into it. This forum runs on a different server

Author winterkjm
Registered
#267 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 16:53 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Pimachiowin Aki (Canada)

Pikangikum First Nation withdrew their support of the nomination because of errors in the evaluation report. This is why Canada asked for a referral. There will be internal discussion amongst the first nation tribes, with the hope of bring the nomination back to the committee as soon as possible.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/unesco-bid-hits-setback-1.3682811

Minister of Sustainable Development Cathy Cox said:
"The UNESCO bid has been referred because of concerns raised by a reserve located in Ontario based on wording in the application relating to their treaty rights. As we have to this point, we will continue to work with Federal, Provincial, Municipal & First Nations groups on the UNESCO application process."

Author Assif
Registered
#268 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 18:18 
What happened with Zadar? Was it withdrawn?

Author Colvin
Registered
#269 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 19:47 
One other thing I noticed is that this site now has over 1,000 reviewed World Heritage Sites! That's thanks in part to the tentative nominations that many folks have been reviewing and that were inscribed this session. Thanks for everyone who reviews sites -- I enjoy reading them a lot, and they help a lot in travel planning!

Author elsslots
Admin
#270 | Posted: 18 Jul 2016 12:12 
Assif:
What happened with Zadar?

I haven't heard anything about it. It could have been withdrawn at the last minute, certainly not earlier as did the Erzgebirge, Nagasaki etc,
I think they just gave up. Next year they will have part of Zadar under a transboundary nomination of the Venetian Defence Works, they might start focusing on that,

Page  Page 18 of 19:  « Previous  1  ...  16  17  18  19  Next » 
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS / WHC 2016 - Livestream Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®