What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? /

UNESCO Biosphere Reserves

Author winterkjm
Registered
#1 | Posted: 2 Jul 2015 02:20 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Considering the similarities between the WHS list, it is somewhat surprising there does not seem to be many travel enthusiasts pursuing this list? Granted, some of the sites are more research/wilderness in focus and very difficult to visit (plenty biosphere reserves have limited to no access). Nevertheless, quite a few biosphere reserves are WHS. Moreover, plenty of these listed reserves have been mentioned as potential candidates for world heritage status. It is also fascinating to me to learn that the United States has the most biosphere reserves in the world (47), despite having no new nominations since 1991! It might be worth researching which countries are active in both programs or which state parties are only involved/active in one of them.

Total: 631 biosphere reserves in 119 countries

From what I can gather, my count is only 13.

KOREA (4)
Mount Sorak
Jeju Island*
Gwangneung Forest*
Gochang*

MEXICO (1)
Alto Golfo de California*

PHILIPPINES (1)
Palawan*

UNITED STATES (7)
Channel Islands
Everglades*
Organ Pipe Cactus
Sequoia-Kings Canyon
Mojave and Colorado Deserts
Golden Gate
Mammoth Cave Area*

* world heritage site

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#2 | Posted: 2 Jul 2015 04:48 
Sounds fun, always handy to have another list :)
I was trying to work out my own number, but a few of them aren't so obvious in terms of location without delving into it fully, so I may need a bit more time.

Though winterkjm have you not been to San Dimas Forrest? if not there is some low hanging fruit for you, with the additional bonus of a Bill and Ted themed day out!

Author winterkjm
Registered
#3 | Posted: 2 Jul 2015 06:12 | Edited by: winterkjm 
meltwaterfalls:
Though winterkjm have you not been to San Dimas Forrest? if not there is some low hanging fruit for you, with the additional bonus of a Bill and Ted themed day out!

Interesting you should mention this, I've been through many areas of the Angeles National Forest/San Gabriel Mountains National Monument, but never this small experimental forest. However, its actually fairly easy to visit, about 55 min. from where I live, so perhaps an upcoming weekend for a hike. This also brings up the point how different (MAB) Biosphere Reserves are in regards to boundaries. For one, some boundaries are only a small part of a massive habitat/park, sometimes the boundaries are over several parks, but rarely (or only sometimes) do they seem to match with WHS or National Park/National Monument boundaries, which makes me think why?

Author winterkjm
Registered
#4 | Posted: 14 Jun 2017 23:06 
23 New UNESCO Biosphere Reserves

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/unesco-new-biosphere-reserves-us-withdraws -reserves/

Perhaps the most surprising news is the United States has removed 17 Biosphere Reserves from the list.

U.S. sites removed from the biosphere reserve list this week:

Aleutian Islands National Wildlife Refuge - US Fish & Wildlife Service
Beaver Creek Experimental Watershed - US Forest Service
California Coast Ranges - University of California Natural Reserve System
Carolinian South-Atlantic - Non-Game and Heritage Trust (South Carolina)
Central Plains Experimental Range - USDA Agricultural Research Service
Coram Experimental Forest - US Forest Service
Desert Experimental Range - US Forest Service
Fraser Experimental Forest - US Forest Service
H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest - US Forest Service / Oregon State University
Hubbard Brook - US Forest Service
Konza Prairie Research Natural Area - Kansas State University
Land Between the Lakes - US Forest Service
Niwot Ridge Mountain Research Station - University of Colorado
Noatak National Preserve - National Park Service
Stanislas-Tuolumne Experimental Forest - US Forest Service
Three Sisters Wilderness - US Forest Service
Virgin Islands - National Park Service

At first glance, 3 criteria for removal.
1) Managed by the US Forest Service (Experimental Forest)
2) Current borders/name no longer relevant
3) Managed by a State University

Most remaining US Biosphere Reserves are National Parks or National Monuments

Author KSTraveler
Registered
#5 | Posted: 15 Jun 2017 01:36 
winterkjm:
Konza Prairie Research Natural Area - Kansas State University

It is interesting how much attention Kansas is receiving with UNESCO this week. I have walked Konza many times, it is just a few miles from my home and is owned and managed by my university. I always thought it was nice having something on a UNESCO list close by, even if just a biosphere reserve.

I know there have been several budgetary constraints placed on Kansas State by the state government and have heard the prairie is becoming harder to manage, as well as harder to do research in general. I hope there is some logic behind this decision, but fear that the removal of Konza as well as the other sites could be for no longer being able to meet the requirements of protection that the Nat Geo article alludes.

Author vantcj1
Registered
#6 | Posted: 15 Jun 2017 14:33 | Edited by: vantcj1 
Some information on the fourth Costa Rican biosphere reserve: the Savegre river watershed "the cleanest river in Central America" and includes seven protected areas, notably the Manuel Antonio National Parl on the coast and the Los Quetzales national park, Los Santos forest reserve and the Cerro Vueltas biological reserve in the Talamanca mountain range, ascending up to 3400 m. Additionally, it also includes the Portalón mixed wildlife refuge, the Hacienda Barú mixed wildlife refuge (in the lowlands) and the Cerro Nara protected area.

Savegre 

What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? / UNESCO Biosphere Reserves Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®