What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? /

Tentative Lists (Progress, Development, Update)

Page  Page 14 of 15:  « Previous  1  ...  12  13  14  15  Next »  
Author vantcj1
Registered
#196 | Posted: 3 Apr 2017 11:42 | Edited by: vantcj1 
winterkjm:
Sanctuary of Bom Jesus do Monte in Braga

Well, that would be a splendid Baroque WHS. The big staircase-pilgrimage route has many conceptual similarities with Congonhas, but it is still aesthetically quite different. I see a case for criteria i). It is masterful, even for an already crowded category.

Author tirtha22
Registered
#197 | Posted: 5 Apr 2017 06:43 | Edited by: tirtha22 

Author winterkjm
Registered
#198 | Posted: 6 Apr 2017 15:38 | Edited by: winterkjm 
4 Tentative Nominations from Portugal's T-list have been dropped. All pre-2017 sites have been removed except:

(3) Remain
Algar do Carvao (1996)
Furna do Enxofre (1996)
ICNITOS de Dinossáurios (2008)

Author pikkle
Registered
#199 | Posted: 8 Apr 2017 04:50 
vantcj1
I definitely agree that the Bom Jesus do Monte near Braga is one of Portugal's remaining premier sites. (I have a soft spot for the country, as my wife and I went there for our honeymoon and were enchanted. It was also my introduction to Iberia). I am actually really surprised it took them this long to nominate it. I think Mafra is splendid, and there are certainly Baroque churches in Porto & Evora, as well as areas of Lisbon if that city, even just the Baixa, were to be inscribed (which it should be).

However, the Bom Jesus is, as you say, peak Baroque. It is a masterpiece. I would agree that it fulfills category i, as well as ii, as we can see this type of architecture in colonial Brazil and other parts of Iberia. I know that Congonhas has already been inscribed, but if it was up to me, this would have been inscribed first, as it was the progenitor and is much more architecturally, aesthetically, and culturally important. It also, to some extent, represents aspects of the "Portuguese Plain Style" of architecture, discussed by George Kubler in his book dedicated to that form. Kubler is the author the extremely important "The Shape of Time."

Author vantcj1
Registered
#200 | Posted: 11 Apr 2017 13:31 | Edited by: vantcj1 
Hey, pikkle

It's great to see this great comparison from this site, that you made. I definitely see that it would be a great addition to the WH list. I also see, as you, great potential in the Lisbon site, and Mafra. As an architect, and an admirer of Alvaro Siza's work (this is basically the guy that made architects care more for the context and local traditions, within the Modern Movement), I would be also be glad to see some of his works inscribed, like those in Leça da Palmeira, Évora, Porto and Marco de Canaveses.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#201 | Posted: 20 Apr 2017 19:02 | Edited by: winterkjm 
The US Tentative List has finally been updated!

Updated Tentative List (10)
Brooklyn Bridge (2017)
Ellis Island (2017)
Central Park (2017)
Early Chicago Skyscrapers (2017)
Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument (2017)
California Current Conservation Complex (2017)
Marianas Trench Marine National Monument (2017)
Marine Protected Areas of American Samoa (2017)
Moravian Church Settlements (2017)
Big Bend National Park (2017)

Removed (1)
FAGATELE BAY NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#202 | Posted: 21 Apr 2017 02:56 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
winterkjm:
The US Tentative List has finally been updated!
Early Chicago Skyscrapers (2017)

Hooray!!! I've just realised it was a dozen years ago I last properly visited these sites, and nearly five years since I was last in Chicago. Perhaps I will finally get around to writing up my review.

Author Assif
Registered
#203 | Posted: 21 Apr 2017 14:48 
Moravian Church Settlements is an extension to Christiansfeld.
What about Ellis Island? Is it an extension to the Statue of Liberty?

Author winterkjm
Registered
#204 | Posted: 21 Apr 2017 15:15 
Ellis Island is a completely separate nomination.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#205 | Posted: 25 Apr 2017 05:19 | Edited by: winterkjm 
New nominations posted. First Tentative List for Liberia.

Cité de Carcassonne et ses châteaux sentinelles de montagne (21/04/2017) France

Providence Island (30/03/2017) Liberia
Mount Nimba Strict Reserve (extension) (30/03/2017) Liberia

Ivriz Cultural Landscape (15/04/2017) Turkey
Ayvalık Industrial Landscape (15/04/2017) Turkey
Archaeological Site of Assos (15/04/2017) Turkey

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#206 | Posted: 25 Apr 2017 06:15 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
winterkjm:

It doesn't say it but surely this must be an extension. I've skimmed through the proposal and it doesn't seem to say it is an extension, but it even refers to its own inscription as a justification.

If it isn't an extension does this mean that France has now gone to the logical/ laughable extreme of just proposing the same places again and again for some different reasons (I know the Routes of St James one covers this as well but even that feels slightly more restrained than this).

Author elsslots
Admin
#207 | Posted: 25 Apr 2017 11:37 
winterkjm:

And it has 8 locations (mostly chateaux)! I hate that (more work to update)

Author pikkle
Registered
#208 | Posted: 25 Apr 2017 18:18 
That has to be an extension! My brother and I often joke that they will just make all of France and Italy UNESCO World Heritage Sites eventually.

Author Walter
Registered
#209 | Posted: 26 Apr 2017 14:37 | Edited by: Walter 
Cité de Carcassonne et ses châteaux sentinelles de montagne
A site is already set:
http://citadellesduvertige.aude.fr/

Author Khuft
Registered
#210 | Posted: 26 Apr 2017 17:39 
Cité de Carcassonne et ses châteaux sentinelles de montagne
I'm surprised the description is so low-key with regards to the Cathars - most of the chateaux seem to have a link to them (including the famous Montségur) - surely this could be pushed a bit more.

Page  Page 14 of 15:  « Previous  1  ...  12  13  14  15  Next » 
What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? / Tentative Lists (Progress, Development, Update) Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®