About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /

WHS Meetup 2018

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next »  
Author tsunami
Registered
#16 | Posted: 11 Nov 2017 16:09 
I checked this thread to propose Iceland, and there it is, someone has already proposed it!

I read that the boat tour to Surtsey requires minimum 25 people. If 15 of us go, then they might agree to float their boat.

Some of us could go on to Greenland afterward.

I'd be also interested in Jerusalem or Western Turkey.

Author GaryArndt
Registered
#17 | Posted: 13 Nov 2017 12:28 
Mexico City would be great. So many sites in the area to visit.

Author clyde
Registered
#18 | Posted: 11 Dec 2017 17:24 
What about the newly added Polish mine which is relatively close to the Krakow and Wroclaw hotspots? It would be fun to meet underground and once again with a helmet after the meetup in Gibraltar.

Els, when are you planning to confirm location and dates please? Some interesting locations mentioned ...

Author elsslots
Admin
#19 | Posted: 12 Dec 2017 01:55 
The date is already fixed:
elsslots:
the 2nd weekend of September 2018 (which means September 8/9).

We can start narrowing down for the destinations. I'll make a shortlist.

Author elsslots
Admin
#20 | Posted: 12 Dec 2017 02:14 
I've tried to narrow down the discussion above to 5 locations on the shortlist, adding my own feelings about those too:

Iceland – private boat tour to Surtsey (plus opportunity to visit Thingvellir before or after)
Pros: Surtsey is hard to cover on your own, not many WH travellers have been there (you cannot land of course)
Cons: quite costly, takes longer than a weekend as the boat may not run in bad weather and you have to get to the Westmann Islands first

St. Kilda – private boat tour
Pros: St.Kilda is hard to cover on your own, not many WH travellers have been there
Cons: due to bad weather boat may not run (higher chance it will not compared to Surtsey), also not a lot to do in the area (Edinburgh was suggested, but this lies far away)

Jerusalem & Palestine
Pros: lots of WHS in the area
Cons: we would need a focus site, otherwise we can spend 2 weeks travelling together; if Jerusalem is the focus site, security situation can be an issue

Nessebar & Eastern Bulgaria
Pros: lots of WHS in the area, cheap flights
Cons: do not see opportunities for a special place to visit or use group leverage here; sites are also easy to visit on your own

Western Turkey (Aphrodisias as main site)
Pros: lots of WHS in the area, cheap flights
Cons: all seem easy to visit on your own

Others mentioned that did not make it to my shortlist:
· Calgary (needs a longer trip)
· Mexico City (needs a longer trip as well, also already well-covered area by many)
· Tarnowskie Silver mine near Cracow (not an interesting sight on its own, the other WHS in the area also have been quite well covered already by many)
· Thessaloniki/Athos/Philippi (same argument as nessebar, plus women cannot enter athos)
· Tunis (too similar to Tetouan where we went last year)

Author Martina_R
Registered
#21 | Posted: 12 Dec 2017 02:39 
As for St. Kilda, let me just say it's easy to include the three WHSs around Edinburgh too as one would need a car nevertheless, I can't imagine navigating Scotland/Isle of Skye via public transport. Edinburgh is the closest airport with connecting flights via London and there's Edinburgh itself, New Lanark and Forth Bridge for those who haven't seen them yet.

Author kintante
Registered
#22 | Posted: 12 Dec 2017 03:57 
Iceland and St. Kilda would both be nice. I only fear the weather. I rather tend to Iceland, as at least there is another WHS nearby and it might be a country, not all of us have visited in general. Maybe this trip would be a better option in July/August.

All sites in Israel and even Palestine are very easy to visit on your own. In addition, it is rather expensive and Trump's ideas did not help with stability in the region.

Bulgaria is my favourite from you list. It's affordable and there is a number of WHS nearby. Tsunami wrote that Kazanlak can only be visited as a replica. So this would be our "special" site, if we manage to get into the original tomb.

Turkey is similar to Bulgaria, but I can't find something that is not easy to visit on your own.

Author elsslots
Admin
#23 | Posted: 12 Dec 2017 04:11 
kintante:
I rather tend to Iceland, as at least there is another WHS nearby and it might be a country, not all of us have visited in general. Maybe this trip would be a better option in July/August.

September still seems to be good for Iceland. Less tourists as well. I would not want to change the date of the meeting, as people will have made plans for other months (I have for example)

Author elsslots
Admin
#24 | Posted: 12 Dec 2017 04:23 
kintante:
Kazanlak can only be visited as a replica. So this would be our "special" site, if we manage to get into the original tomb.

In the past it surely was possible to get a permit to get into the original tomb. Unclear if that still is possible. Would be a good one to research further.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#25 | Posted: 12 Dec 2017 05:48 
September in Iceland was OK weather wise; One day of beautiful blue skies, one day of miserable drizzle, one day of fluffy snow and a few hours of horrendous driving horizontal rain when I visited in late September.

I would love to go back to Iceland at some stage but to be honest I probably wouldn't join for that one, preferring to wait for my daughter to be able to enjoy and understand it a little more.

And not wanting to rain on the parade but I probably wouldn't go to St Kilda either, the time, effort and money doesn't work for me next year. At some stage in the future I would love to go there, just not for the next few years. However if there is a pre-meet in Edinburgh it is a nice easy one for me to get to and we have been looking at going to Orkney anyway so could be a good excuse.

But please don't let my reluctance stop people, I am sure we will be at future events and/ or see people individually at some stage anyway.

Bulgaria or Turkey would be my preferences.

With Turkey would it be worth dropping Attila a line to see if there is anything he could recommend as a special interest addition to the trip?

Author nfmungard
Registered
#26 | Posted: 12 Dec 2017 13:19 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Bulgaria would be my preference due to:
* Costs
* Plenty of options to travel onwards: Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, Greece
* Weather: I prefer to have a sunny vacation and meet up. Especially with autumn close up.
* Logistics: Bukarest, Sofia, Varna, Istanbul are in the area and should allow easy access.

Admittedly, the special site is a bit missing. Looking at what we got some ideas:
* Access to real tomb in Kazanlak
* Access to more than the open church in Ivanovo

But to be honest, we didn't have that in Lithuania either and it was still fun.

Itinerary:
* Thursday Evening: Arrival in Warna
* Friday: Trip to Pobiti (T), Madera, Nessebar
* Saturday: Sveshtari, Ivanovo, Roussensky (T), Roman Empire (T)
--> Potential split: People going to Srebarna will probably stay in Russe.
* Sundary: Home.

Turkey would also be fine (other continent) and security situation seems to have improved.

Author elsslots
Admin
#27 | Posted: 12 Dec 2017 13:51 
nfmungard:
Bukarest, Sofia, Varna, Istanbul are in the area and should allow easy access.

This is a major plus indeed, one can go on an extended trip including NW Turkey and Greece for example.

Author Sjobe
Registered
#28 | Posted: 13 Dec 2017 09:11 
I also like the idea of Eastern Bulgaria even though there is not any exclusive site. The original tomb of Kazanlak would be great place to visit but maybe it is not possible. Still, Bulgaria would be my favourite.

Author elsslots
Admin
#29 | Posted: 16 Dec 2017 03:49 | Edited by: elsslots 
OK, as most people seem to favour Eastern Bulgaria I'm going to fix the dates and location so we can start booking those 57 EUR WizzAir flights (or similar) to Varna. The WHS Meetup 2018 will be held in (and around) Varna on 7 - 8 September!

Thursday Sept. 6: arrival to Varna at your own convenience
Friday Sept. 7: first day of WHS meetup
Saturday Sept. 8: second day of WHS meetup
Sunday Sept. 9: departure

Later next year we can work on the detailed itinerary for 7 and 8 September. We will visit WHS, as many as possible, and a TWHS thrown in here or there. See Nan's post above for possibilities.

No need to 'sign-up' already - at the moment there are no limits to the number of participants. I will create a list closer to the date.
Would be fun to meet Sjobe and warwass though for the first time!

Author tsunami
Registered
#30 | Posted: 16 Dec 2017 10:59 | Edited by: tsunami 
I covered NE Bulgaria over 2 occasions in the past year. The 1st time I could only visit Kazanlak due to the heavy snow in January. The second time in May I covered them all and at the same time finished with all sites in Romania and Bulgaria. So unfortunately I will not be joining this one, again.

I wish you a good luck in being able to visit the real tomb at Kazanlak. I have a feeling that it may be quite possible if you present yourself as an enthusiastic and scholarly group of WH visitors. The staff at the replica tomb there were rather friendly. That said, I would still have to offer a warning for expecting Kazanlak to be the highlight of this trip, a real tomb or not! A more satisfactory way to do Kazanlak would be to try to cover some other tombs in the area that have been nominated as an extension to this site.

I would also recommend visiting the Danube Delta nearby, if you haven't. September should be a nice time to go there. There is a car ferry service to cross the Danube from the TWHS of Silistra (near the WHS of Srebarna), Bulgaria, to Calarasi, Romania.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website / WHS Meetup 2018 Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®