About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /

WHS Meetup 2017

Page  Page 4 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next »  
Author Solivagant
Registered
#46 | Posted: 25 Aug 2017 14:45 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Jasam:
most of the coordinates to the rock art sites in Spain are WAY off, of usually 200m but up to 200km

PLEASE(!!!!!!!!!) tell the Forum whenever you find an example - it can only take a few seconds extra if you have already found a discrepancy!!
Report here - http://www.worldheritagesite.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=1918&p age=15

And back to your post on the previous page about SPARE SPACES for MEET UP! - http://www.worldheritagesite.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=3&topic=2106&p age=3#msg17986

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#47 | Posted: 28 Aug 2017 04:11 
Hi All,

Bad news I'm afraid the Gibraltar Museum have been in contact and have said that access to the Cave itself will no longer be possible. There is chance that we may be able to the entrance to the cave, however that is also looking doubtful on the day we plan to visit.

So I have been scouting for alternative options:

Option 1:
At 09:30 The museum are still able to provide an introductory talk at the soon to be opened Europa Advance Viewing Platform, which looks like it is within the core zone of the WHS, I think at the location marked as 1st and 2nd Europa Advance Battery or 3rd Europa Advance Battery on the boundary map.
Gibraltar Museum:
The viewing platform is in the WHS, at its southern boundary. From the platform you get a good view of the sea caves, of the whole WHS profile to the top of the Rock at O'Hara's Battery/top of Med Steps, and can also appreciate the now submerged landscape which was a sandy plain at the time of the Neanderthals. If it is boundaries which are of specific interest then it is actually a good place to go. The attached photo is the opening ceremony on the viewing platform, looking towards the rest of the site (right half of photo). WHS boundaries follow topography (cliff and ridge lines).

From here we can go back to the museum for a guided tour, and I'm working on getting a slightly more in depth talk/ presentation on WHS matters.
This finishes around 13:00 so I can find somewhere for a lunch for us all to sit and discuss the visit/ talk about future travels etc.
This leaves an afternoon free to further explore Gibraltar, or for those wanting a more in depth exploration of the WHS there is teh option to go for a hike through the landscape setting by walking the Med Steps Path, up from Jews' Gate or down from O'Hara's Battery (providing you're fit and have a good head for heights; but that also applies to the sea caves). There are also caves on this walk with evidence for early homo sapiens (also part of OUV), as well as a range of military heritage sites which have associative values, and good views.

Option 2:
At 09:00 we can charter a boat that will enable us to see the Cave from the sea. And they can give us a commentary for this. The Boast tour last 1hr45min. Where upon we can make our own way to the Museum (perhaps I can still get the guided tour) and then carry on as with Option One.

The Boat tour would be an additional £425 (taking the 19 of us currently on the cave tour that would work out at around £22 per person extra). The boat however does have a capacity of 49 so more spaces are available if people would like to join. Though the same would apply to Option 1 as we would no longer be going inside the controlled military zones.
At the moment we have not been asked to pay anything for the Museum visit, though entrance fees are £2.

Right well any feedback on this would be appreciated, my personal preference would be for Option 1, and depending on how my travelling companions are feeling I would be tempted to go for an afternoon hike up to the Mediterranean steps for a further exploration of the core WHS Zone.

And secondly please accept my sincere apologies for the last minute change of plans, my heart rther sank when the museum contacted me and I hope we can still make it a worthwhile visit even without direct access to the cave.

Author elsslots
Admin
#48 | Posted: 28 Aug 2017 05:07 
Option 1 would be the best for me as well

Author elsslots
Admin
#49 | Posted: 28 Aug 2017 05:16 | Edited by: elsslots 
Jasam:
I also did some research for a guided tour in Tetouan but to no avail.

The Tetouan part of the tour is all set-up now, thanks to kintante (Philipp).
Participants will be notified shortly by e-mail about the programme.

Author kintante
Registered
#50 | Posted: 28 Aug 2017 13:49 
Option 1 would work for me as well.

Author Iain Jackson
Registered
#51 | Posted: 29 Aug 2017 16:44 
meltwaterfalls
On behalf of the three of us I vote for Option 1 also.

Author Jasam
Registered
#52 | Posted: 30 Aug 2017 05:42 
I wouldn't have minded the boat tour but option 1 is fine too!

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#53 | Posted: 30 Aug 2017 11:20 
Hi All, Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully those involved have seen Els' e-mail about option 1a so let me know by e-mail on that one and hopefully we can get the final itinerary sorted in the next few days.

I'm also trying to find somewhere appropriate for a post meeting lunch so if anyone wouldn't be interested in joining that let me know.

Author tsunami
Registered
#54 | Posted: 30 Aug 2017 20:30 
I'm so sad...I have decided not to participate in this meeting. So sorry! In the last moment! Hope it wouldn't cause any inconvenience...

I have said previously that I would be moving from Wroclaw, Poland, back to Berlin as of September 1. But instead I have decided to settle permanently in Wroclaw, well, at least for the foreseeable future, and now is a crucial time for me to take care of this matter.

Indeed my passport is still at the visa office in Wroclaw and won't be returned before Sept. 5 when I was planning to leave for Malaga.

And I'm wasting my round trip tickets from Berlin to Malaga.

But let me say I immensely enjoyed meeting with four other members of this site in Warsaw a week ago!

Author elsslots
Admin
#55 | Posted: 31 Aug 2017 14:07 
tsunami:
.I have decided not to participate in this meeting

Sorry too. Maybe next year..

Author elsslots
Admin
#56 | Posted: 31 Aug 2017 14:10 
Regarding the ferries Algeciras - Ceuta: it may be a good idea to pre-book them, if only because it saves time at the port.

I have just booked with Trasmediterranea for the 7.50 departure and 19.15 return.

Author Jasam
Registered
#57 | Posted: 31 Aug 2017 15:06 
elsslots:
I have just booked with Trasmediterranea for the 7.50 departure and 19.15 return.

OK, we're about to book the 7.50 departure as well. Do you still have 2 spare spaces in your car?

Author elsslots
Admin
#58 | Posted: 31 Aug 2017 15:19 
Jasam:
Do you still have 2 spare spaces in your car?

I am sorry, I have given them away to the Jackson family!
I believe others are staying in La Linea as well. Hubert I believe?

Author Jasam
Registered
#59 | Posted: 31 Aug 2017 15:35 
elsslots:
I am sorry, I have given them away to the Jackson family!
I believe others are staying in La Linea as well. Hubert I believe?

It's okay. We will have our own car. It's just that the hotel car park seems to be cheaper than the ones in Algeciras.

Author kintante
Registered
#60 | Posted: 1 Sep 2017 08:21 
Hi all

My input regarding parking and ferry

I booked my trip at http://www.directferries.es/. They have different options with different ferry companies. It's possible to check in online to save some time.

I found a website that shows public parkings. I will try to leave my car in one of those. Mercado parking is just opposite the port and about EUR 15 per day. The official lots cost over EUR 30 per day.

Page  Page 4 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website / WHS Meetup 2017 Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®