About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /

WHS Meetup 2017

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next »  
Author tsunami
Registered
#16 | Posted: 14 Apr 2017 07:03 
Oh, BTW, for those who plan to visit Antequera after the meetup,

I'm not sure this info is correct, but according to my old Lonely Planet, Dolmen in Antequera is closed on Mondays.

Author tsunami
Registered
#17 | Posted: 14 Apr 2017 07:16 
As far as Sunday goes, I might change my plan to go straight back to Malaga to lounge around on beach, and instead swing by the White Towns in the Sierra de Grazalema Natural Park, even though it is not on our "List."

Author tsunami
Registered
#18 | Posted: 15 Apr 2017 09:05 
I also made a reservation at a hotel in La Linea for now. Yes, it is cheaper than Gibraltar.

BTW, where is the ferry to Africa leaving from? Algeciras?

Author nfmungard
Registered
#19 | Posted: 15 Apr 2017 09:49 
tsunami

To Ceuta, yes.

Author tsunami
Registered
#20 | Posted: 15 Apr 2017 13:29 
I also just made a reservation at a hotel in Algeciras.

Hmmm, it may be more convenient than La Linea.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#21 | Posted: 18 Apr 2017 08:32 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Right, I just had confirmation back from Gibraltar Museum for a tour on 8th September. Happy World Heritage Site Day!

It comes with this warning though (as previously stated) and various conditions, I'm posing the whole thing here just so everyone is clear on the conditions. [emphasis below is mine]

Gibraltar Museum:
September 8th is ok, BUT you all need to be aware that we may have to cancel if the weather is bad (or has been on the previous two days) for safety; or if there are MOD (UK Ministry of Defence) activities in the area which we may not know about until close to the date. I cannot absolutely guarantee access, so there is a risk which your group needs to understand.

We can take a maximum of 18 people, preferably 15 (must be over 12 years) on any one trip, as there are restrictions on numbers on site. There will be two guides.

I will need full names and passport numbers at least 48hrs in advance, so I can clear attendees with the MOD.

We will supply hard hats or scurions, and health & safety is of paramount importance. The site is difficult to access, isn't suitable for anyone with vertigo or less mobility. Good stout walking shoes or boots are recommended, plus water and a backpack to carry items so hands are free for the descent. You will also need to sign indemnity forms.

I think that's it. As long as everyone understands that access is not 100% certain because of factors outside our control

I think we are roughly approaching the maximum numbers for a single tour, so depending on how things go I may have to go back and see if two tours are possible (It was mentioned earlier in our communication). But also there may be some people attending that wouldn't be going down into the cave (e.g. either myself or Mrs Meltwaterfalls will be on babysitting duties) so numbers may not be quite as tight.

Author elsslots
Admin
#22 | Posted: 18 Apr 2017 14:29 
meltwaterfalls:
Right, I just had confirmation back from Gibraltar Museum for a tour on 8th September

Great news!

(typing this from a boat on the Nile....)

Author tsunami
Registered
#23 | Posted: 18 Apr 2017 17:44 
I just booked my flights, so please count me in.

Author kintante
Registered
#24 | Posted: 21 Apr 2017 16:28 
tsunami:
I'm not sure this info is correct, but according to my old Lonely Planet, Dolmen in Antequera is closed on Mondays.

True. According the Andalusian tourist board all sites are closed on Mondays.

I booked the hotel in La Linea. But I'll have a car, so it will be no problem to get to the boat.

Author tsunami
Registered
#25 | Posted: 24 Apr 2017 10:58 
Just wondered if it's possible to make an arrangement such that we could switch around the tour of the cave and the day trip to Africa in case the cave tour is not possible on Friday, in order to increase our chance of getting to the cave eventually.

Author tsunami
Registered
#26 | Posted: 30 Apr 2017 08:50 | Edited by: tsunami 
The above info from the Gibraltar Museum doesn't include the time of the tour, but I'm assuming it'll be after 10 am when the museum opens.

http://www.gibmuseum.gi/Welcome.html

So those who are staying in Agreciras have some buses they can take to La Linea from 7 am on.

http://siu.ctmcg.es/es/movil/horarios_lineas_tabla.php?linea=4&from=

From the bus station in La Linea I'm guessing we can walk across the border, through the passport control, to the museum, about 2 km away. I would allocate at least one hour for this walk.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#27 | Posted: 16 May 2017 07:35 
Flying into Malaga with Air Berlin on Thursday at 07.09.2017 18:25 from Hamburg. Flying out from Malaga on Monday with Norwegian at 7:05. If anyone is going to La Linea or back to Antequera on Sunday would be pleased to join.

Author kintante
Registered
#28 | Posted: 16 May 2017 08:22 
I can take you from La Linea to Antequera on Sunday morning.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#29 | Posted: 16 May 2017 08:37 
kintante
great! see you.

Author kintante
Registered
#30 | Posted: 4 Jul 2017 05:16 
Hi guys did anybody take over the organization of the Morocco day trip? After a short research I found that it seems to be much easier to take the ferry to Tanger, not Ceuta. However I'd like to see Ceuta. Seems more appealing than Tanger. Would it be an option to take the ferry to Tanger, go to Tetouan by taxi, take another taxi to Ceuta and from there the ferry back to Algeciras? Ferry tickets are cheaper if booked ahead online. Also it might be good to organize a guide in Tetouan.

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website / WHS Meetup 2017 Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®