About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /

Backlog of technical enhancements

Page  Page 8 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »  
Author nfmungard
Registered
#106 | Posted: 14 Jul 2017 12:28 
kintante
I would be happy to handover. Redoing the login right now and that's what I would prefer focussing on. Please mail me and els. Els email you nave. Mine is my forum name + @gmail.com

Author elsslots
Admin
#107 | Posted: 14 Jul 2017 13:18 
kintante:
SEO is not among my main tasks, but I have some experience. I suggest you don't rush into it before having a proper concept. The changes will consume quite some time so it's better if you/we know exactly what to do. I'd like to join in if you have some use for me.

Thanks, very much appreciated

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#108 | Posted: 19 Jul 2017 16:12 
I just noticed there are reviews on the T-list site for Citté-fortezza di Palmanova.

Perhaps it would be best to copy these over to the Venetian Works of Defence?

Author elsslots
Admin
#109 | Posted: 20 Jul 2017 13:54 
meltwaterfalls:
Perhaps it would be best to copy these over to the Venetian Works of Defence?

Yes I will do that. I suspect the TWHS will be withdrawn by Italy in the near future.

Author evilweevil
Registered
#110 | Posted: 27 Jul 2017 16:34 
In the Gelati Monastery page, there is still the main dot on Bagrati Cathedral, also the text still says "This WHS also covers the Bagrati Cathedral, a 11th-century cathedral church in the city of Kutaisi." Not true anymore :)

Author elsslots
Admin
#111 | Posted: 28 Jul 2017 13:19 
evilweevil:
In the Gelati Monastery page, there is still the main dot on Bagrati Cathedral, also the text still says "This WHS also covers the Bagrati Cathedral, a 11th-century cathedral church in the city of Kutaisi." Not true anymore :)

fixed it!

Author nfmungard
Registered
#112 | Posted: 31 Jul 2017 13:44 
Short update:
I should finalize the initial release for the logged in community pages this week. The log in etc will be streamlined and user registration is redone, too. The editing of reviews will use TinyMCE, so editing options will be quite nice. I also improved the picture upload and resizing, granting a bit more quality to each picture.

It will take some testing time, though, as the changes are major.

After that all that is needed is to move the public reviews. I will add a recaptcha and provide access tokens, so even not logged in users can preview and change their reviews, till Els publishes them.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#113 | Posted: 2 Aug 2017 05:07 
nfmungard:
till Els publishes them.

Does that imply that reviews cannot be altered AFTER publication even for registered reviewers??
It is a useful facility for correcting spelling/grammar, adding links, clarification etc.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#114 | Posted: 2 Aug 2017 05:50 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Solivagant

Applies only for users who don't have an account (not you or me).

For anonymous users we can't allow them to edit after publishing as they may publish spam after Els has approved and it shows online. Right now it's fixed when they press send. This way they could at least go back and alter it (and preview it) before Els has approved. It would be best, though, they registered and got a normal account.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#115 | Posted: 7 Aug 2017 02:19 
FYI: Of late we have had some issues with the main page loading (if it's not taken from the cache). We are investigating. I have no idea why the performance deteriorated so much as we haven't changed anything. It should not take 20s to rebuild the index page. All other pages (country, site, ...) seem fine.

Meanwhile, a new release with revised editing features is being finalized and hopefully will be in test in the next few weeks :)

Author Sjobe
Registered
#116 | Posted: 7 Aug 2017 08:33 
This is not a technical issue, but rather an aesthetic, typographic and readability issue: after the latest site update the review texts have been aligned as "justified" (flush with left and right margins) which is not a good way to align the web texts because it can cause a large "holes" to the texts when there are particularly long words. Left aligned and ragged right would be typographically better way to align these texts. Justified works better in the printed materials.

Additionally, it would be typographically consistent because all the other texts (Els's reviews, teaser texts on the front page, etc.) are now left aligned.

Just a small detail that disturbs me a bit :)

Author nfmungard
Registered
#117 | Posted: 7 Aug 2017 12:26 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Sjobe

I noticed that, too. Fix is rather simple, BUT I was too lazy to branch properly. So can't really give Els a fix for this independently of the release

@Els: The text-justify div can be removed from sites.php. Ping me, if you want to do this.

Author Sjobe
Registered
#118 | Posted: 7 Aug 2017 13:08 
Thanks Nan! Nitpicking about typography belongs to my basic work as a communications professional :D

Author elsslots
Admin
#119 | Posted: 7 Aug 2017 13:54 
nfmungard:
@Els: The text-justify div can be removed from sites.php. Ping me, if you want to do this.

Done. OK like this I guess: http://www.worldheritagesite.org/list/id/602 (the other site pages have to be refreshed but that will happen automatically over the next hour or so)

Author Solivagant
Registered
#120 | Posted: 16 Aug 2017 02:53 | Edited by: Solivagant 
The Text links under "The List" and Country - but not the links from the maps - for Spissky Hrad are returning this message -
"You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 31"

While I am posting re the Web site - is there any technical reason why the "Tab list" at the top of the "Forum Page" is incomplete and in a different sequence from those at the top of every other page? e.g "Tentative" is missing -which means that if you want to go from the Forum to the Tentative List page you have to go via e.g "Start"!

Page  Page 8 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website / Backlog of technical enhancements Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®