About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /

Backlog of technical enhancements

Page  Page 7 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next »  
Author nfmungard
Registered
#91 | Posted: 11 Jul 2017 05:48 
meltwaterfalls:
I basically only use Instagram regularly. Mostly because it is somewhat free of all the bits I dislike about Facebook, and also because I like doing some vicarious travelling/ being envious of Nan and Bernard Joseph Esposo Guerrero. But I don't really know how easy it is to integrate it onto this site.

That seems to be fairly easy: https://www.instagram.com/developer/embedding/. We would only need to agree on a hashtag to listen to. Or someone needs to set up a moderated profile to follow. Question would also be where to place such a feed.

meltwaterfalls:
To be honest I try my hardest to stay off Facebook, only using it occasionally to update distant family that use it. Whilst not feeling as strongly about it as Solivagant, I don't think I would be keen on integrating it especially if it would push individual visit reports to different pages.

Duly noted. Els wasn't enticed, Paul and Ian aren't. Let's skip it. It would help with SEO, but I think the site is doing fine right now (try new world heritage sites 2017 on google).

meltwaterfalls:
Yeah these all sound great to me! And if it helps push some of the grunt work off of the admins shoulders then even better.

Most start with the login and session management. That will take a while, because without I can't move on to data entry portions. We still have some tidying up to do and some SEO related activities (https, sitemap, description meta informatnion) but then I will work on this.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#92 | Posted: 11 Jul 2017 05:53 
nfmungard:
try new world heritage sites 2017 on google

In my search at least, we come in above UNESCO which is pretty decent work I suppose :)

Author nfmungard
Registered
#93 | Posted: 11 Jul 2017 06:54 
meltwaterfalls:
my search at least, we come in above UNESCO which is pretty decent work I suppose :)

Top 1 to be precise. We also made sure that the updated links properly redirect so we keep our page rank.

Nan

Author Solivagant
Registered
#94 | Posted: 11 Jul 2017 07:05 | Edited by: Solivagant 
nfmungard:
It would help with SEO

I am all for improving/maintaining SEO ranking - as long as I/we don't have to "use" Facebook et al!!
On my Google search this site came second after the Daily Telelgraph - but above UNESCO

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#95 | Posted: 11 Jul 2017 07:10 
Solivagant:
On my Google search this site came second after the Daily Telelgraph - but above UNESCO

Same for me, though I would assume the Daily Telegraph wouldn't feature as highly outside the UK (or perhaps outside countries with English as the primary language)

Author nfmungard
Registered
#96 | Posted: 11 Jul 2017 07:16 
Solivagant:
I am all for improving SEO ranking - as long as I/we don't have to "use" Facebook et al!!

We will do normal, non intrusive stuff first. The new URL paths are already there to support the page rank. We are also preparing a site map and will add some more meta data to the page. We probably should also switch to non ID URLs as canonical for all sites. It's already possible to access a site by name, but the default (canonical) url is based on the ID.

But in the end, I dont make the SEO rules: https://www.quora.com/Do-Facebook-likes-affect-SEO

Author elsslots
Admin
#97 | Posted: 11 Jul 2017 13:07 
meltwaterfalls:
Solivagant:

Same for me, though I would assume the Daily Telegraph wouldn't feature as highly outside the UK (or perhaps outside countries with English as the primary language)

No. 1 here as well, from the Netherlands (query "new world heritage sites 2017"). Daily Telegraph is #3

Author Solivagant
Registered
#98 | Posted: 11 Jul 2017 14:27 
elsslots:
Daily Telegraph is #3

Daily Telegraph now gets top 2 spots in a query made from UK.
The first is "1 day ago - The Lake District has been named Britain's 31st World Heritage Site. But it isn't the only place celebrating Unesco recognition. Here are the...."
The second is "1 day ago - Taputapuatea, French Polynesia. This commune in French Polynesia was named after a large marae complex which was once considered the......"
Now - I can just about accept that The Lake District comes out top in queries of an English newspaper about UNESCO World Heritage - but Taputapuatea coming second????????
DT must be using a range of SEO "tricks" I guess to get itself pushed up the rankings.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#99 | Posted: 11 Jul 2017 14:42 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Solivagant:
DT must be using a range of SEO "tricks" I guess to get itself pushed up the rankings.

We still have some work to do to make the content as search engine friendly as possible. I gave Els a new TEST version that switches to named links and provides a full site map. This should help. Her hoster also needs to enable https. This will help, too.

To Dos:
* We may need to update the title of each page. https://www.orbitmedia.com/blog/seo-best-practices/
* We should provide a description tag per page. https://moz.com/learn/seo/meta-description
* We may need to follow h1/h2/h3... hierarchy.
* We may need to get rid of all >here< links. They should say what users find here.
* We may need to make sure that content isn't copied as this site will get penalized if the content shows up all over the web.
* We may need to name the images like the entity they describe. We need to make sure each image has an alt tag providing a description.
* We should look what search terms bring people to these pages and then make sure those key words feature prominently on the page

This is all I could find with a 30min online research. In the end, though, we have plenty of regularly updated and unique content. That helps a lot.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#100 | Posted: 14 Jul 2017 07:05 
nfmungard:
That seems to be fairly easy: https://www.instagram.com/developer/embedding/. We would only need to agree on a hashtag to listen to. Or someone needs to set up a moderated profile to follow. Question would also be where to place such a feed.

I would be keen on this, having a separate little page with images coming in would be of interest to me, and it doesn't really have any knock on effect for users of this site that don't use instagram.

I'm happy to be admin for the account, it is something mildly constructive I can still do with a baby asleep on me.

Or if a hashtag was better something along the lines of: #whsorg or #whsdotorg? As the prefereable #whs.org won't work

Author nfmungard
Registered
#101 | Posted: 14 Jul 2017 07:29 
meltwaterfalls

Profile is better as we don't want random picks spamming the feed and showing on the page.

To create a 2nd account. I would align with Els though (we can have more than one editor by sharing the credentials):
https://www.facebook.com/help/instagram/1696686240613595?helpref=related

To make it work look here. You may need to contact the picture owners each time though.

Author kintante
Registered
#102 | Posted: 14 Jul 2017 07:53 
Regarding SEO there is still some potential in the browser titles and meta descriptions. Regarding the social media topic: you don't have to add a Facebook button to like each page or even reviews. However, it would boost the page rankings if we had links to (I assume not yet existing) social media accounts like official worldheritagesite.org Twitter, Insta and FB and link them in the footer. This would also be a great chance to generate backlinks. If we need new roles to support Els, such as a social media manager or additional content support, I guess we have something to talk about after dinner in September :). I for my part would be willing to participate in some form.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#103 | Posted: 14 Jul 2017 08:15 | Edited by: nfmungard 
kintante:
potential in the browser titles and meta descriptions.

SEO not really my area of expertise. Some feedback and ideas would be appreciated.

Re description (missing) and titles (not that specifci) I proposed something for sites yesterday to Els.

My general understanding is that the title should look akin to this and have < 65 chars. E.g.:

<name> - <2nd info> | brand

One issue is the brand. The brand is also the subject. So I went to the brand claim in my proposal (For World Heritage Travellers)

Title for Sites:
Galapagos Islands - World Heritage Site | For World Heritage Travellers
Galapagos Islands - Natural World Heritage Site | For World Heritage Travellers
Galapagos Islands - Unesco World Heritage Site | For World Heritage Travellers
Galapagos Islands - World Heritage Site of Ecuador | For World Heritage Travellers

Proposal Description (pick first sentence):
The Galápagos Islands are famed for their vast number of endemic species and the studies by Charles Darwin that led to his theory of evolution by natural selection.

For tentative sites:
Title:
Bagh-e Babur - Tentative Site of Albania | For World Heritage Travelers
Description:
Bagh-e Babur is part of the Tentative list of Afghanistan in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

For former sites:
Title:
Bagh-e Babur - Former Tentative Site of Albania | For World Heritage Travelers
Description:
Bagh-e Babur was part of the Tentative list of Afghanistan. It did not qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

In the end we need to do this exercise for each and every type of page (and there are many).

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#104 | Posted: 14 Jul 2017 10:46 
nfmungard:
SEO not really my area of expertise. Some feedback and ideas would be appreciated.

I know literally nothing about it, however I just stumbled across this infographic (10 Tips for Structuring, URL.,'s to Rank Higher) whilst doing some 'proper' work. So thought I would at least post it here.

Author kintante
Registered
#105 | Posted: 14 Jul 2017 12:24 
SEO is not among my main tasks, but I have some experience. I suggest you don't rush into it before having a proper concept. The changes will consume quite some time so it's better if you/we know exactly what to do. I'd like to join in if you have some use for me.

Page  Page 7 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website / Backlog of technical enhancements Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®