About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /

Backlog of technical enhancements

Page  Page 6 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »  
Author nfmungard
Registered
#76 | Posted: 7 Jul 2017 09:50 | Edited by: nfmungard 
seeing els is back and on the occasion of the whc 2017 we may deploy the new version this weekend. you find an updated release now. check out the new checklist for visitors :D

please let us know if you see any reason not to put this live. if you find any time while watching the stream.

Author elsslots
Admin
#77 | Posted: 7 Jul 2017 11:00 
the introduction sentences (teasers to the reviews on homepages etc) should be longer, now cut off too early (see stan's last review)

Author nfmungard
Registered
#78 | Posted: 7 Jul 2017 11:10 
fix proposed for intro via mail.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#79 | Posted: 7 Jul 2017 11:38 
User login isn't working right now. Will be sorted out today.

Author elsslots
Admin
#80 | Posted: 7 Jul 2017 12:04 
nfmungard:
User login isn't working right now. Will be sorted out today.

working now

Author nfmungard
Registered
#81 | Posted: 7 Jul 2017 12:10 
elsslots

already updated my alerces review and my count :D

Author Kbecq
Registered
#82 | Posted: 7 Jul 2017 15:16 
Small question about the visited WHS count: is there a way to make partial selections (per subsite or per country) in case of multinational WHS?
When we look at our 'personal map' it shows that we have been to e.g. Japan (in casu as a result of selecting the Le Corbusier site) while in reality we have never been to Japan.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#83 | Posted: 7 Jul 2017 15:48 
Kbecq

Yes. It's in the pipeline. Paul also asked to have his actual locations shown.

However, we first need to redo the login stuff and some SEO plus cleanup. Then I will look into using TinyMCE as editor for the posts. And then I will deal with the visited locations.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#84 | Posted: 8 Jul 2017 02:37 
The Community tab has certainly speeded up but all the maps of "Missing" sites I have tried for different individuals this morning are returning this error -
"You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 6"

Author nfmungard
Registered
#85 | Posted: 8 Jul 2017 04:59 
Solivagant:
"You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 6"

One: You shouldn't be seeing that and we will turn if off for security reasons ;)

I have submitted a fix to Els. Problem originated with David Aaronson & Melanie Stowell. By fixing their page, I broke the missing page.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#86 | Posted: 8 Jul 2017 05:30 
els just uploaded the new 2017 page here: http://www.worldheritagesite.org/list/new.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#87 | Posted: 10 Jul 2017 15:30 
FYI:
* The missing sites per user work again. The path will always be /community/<user>/missing.
* The yearly summary screen is now available for all historic years. /list/new/<year>
* The inscribed sites have been delisted from the tentative page.
* We made sure that the tentative sites being inscribed are redirected to the inscribed site. Same applies to the future years. Please report any broken links!!!

With this we have done a major refactoring of the site most noticeably in the URL paths that have changed:
* Was: profiles/provile.php?user=1
* Is: /community/Els+Slots

You should also experience faster load times as we cache most parts of the application. Tiny downside: You dont always get the latest content.

As far as I know there is only one open bug:
* The rankings don't quite work as they should.

A few things we will be looking into (pending priorization by Els). Your feedback would be appreciated.

* SEO. There are few things to do to improve the visibility of the site. For remote locations we do pretty well. For common sites (e.g. Aachen Cathedral) we don't.
* Social Media, anyone? We could add a facebook like button per post. Wouldn't be that hard, but would require individual pages per user review.
* A bit better exception handling (404 redirects etc).
* Up-to-date Login and Registration... This is a big one and will take a while. Benefits: Session would be kept alive (remember me), Captcha for Els to manage bot requests, automatic verify emails... I know it's not that interesting, but: It's unfortunately, a prerequisite for what comes next.
* TinyMCE as plugin for data entry. It's a javascript plugin that provides formatting option in a WYSIWIG set up.
* Workflow: Ability to delete posts, preview posts (Users), schedule posts (Els only).
* Nicer visited site feature with auto complete etc. Additional ability to mark locations.
* Site Ratings for inscribed and public users

Loads. Will be done by the next community meeting... in 2018 ;)

Author Solivagant
Registered
#88 | Posted: 10 Jul 2017 15:49 | Edited by: Solivagant 
nfmungard:
We could add a facebook like button per post.

I know I am an old fogie - but WHY?????
Could someone please explain to me what possible benefit to us as users would accrue from such a button? Please let's keep this site a Facebook and Twitter free zone! Otherwise we will have embarked on an inevitable road to dumbing down of the site - why don't we introduce Twitter based reviews while we are about it. There can be nowhere in the World which can't be adequately introduced in 140chs! "Grand Canyon - go there, it is big, very big". I for one will NOT post if there is a Facebook "like" button! (maybe some will be pleased!)

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#89 | Posted: 11 Jul 2017 05:23 
nfmungard:
Social Media, anyone?

To be honest I try my hardest to stay off Facebook, only using it occasionally to update distant family that use it. Whilst not feeling as strongly about it as Solivagant, I don't think I would be keen on integrating it especially if it would push individual visit reports to different pages.

I wouldn't be averse to a twitter embed button, though I doubt I would use it. And tbh I quite like keeping this site somewhat separate from what I use Twitter for.

I basically only use Instagram regularly. Mostly because it is somewhat free of all the bits I dislike about Facebook, and also because I like doing some vicarious travelling/ being envious of Nan and Bernard Joseph Esposo Guerrero. But I don't really know how easy it is to integrate it onto this site.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#90 | Posted: 11 Jul 2017 05:26 
nfmungard:
* Up-to-date Login and Registration.
* TinyMCE as plugin for data entry.
* Workflow: Ability to delete posts, preview posts (Users)
* Nicer visited site feature with auto complete etc. Additional ability to mark locations.
* Site Ratings for inscribed and public users

Yeah these all sound great to me! And if it helps push some of the grunt work off of the admins shoulders then even better.

Page  Page 6 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website / Backlog of technical enhancements Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®