About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /

Backlog of technical enhancements

Page  Page 4 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next »  
Author Assif
Registered
#46 | Posted: 24 Jun 2017 18:14 
Great job, nfmungard and Els.
Two suggestions:
1) I like the new format of the Pending Tentative Sites. I think the years mentioned are confusing. Under the category Year Scheduled the last updated to the T-list is cited rather than the year of the last nomination, which is more informative. The same year of T-List update is also mentioned on the right as Submitted, which is misleading, as this is NOT the year in which the sites was nominated. I would omit this info altogether and remain with Last Nominated For. If there is another nomination awaiting then it could be renamed Next Nominated For. I don't understand what Year Redrewn is. It is currently an empty category.
2) When entering the future WHC sessions there are links to the forum pages for the WHC years 2017, 2018 and 2019 regardless of the particular year of the page. I would rather see the page WHC 2017 linked to the 2017 WHC forum page, the page WHC 2018 linked to the 2018 WHC forum page, etc.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#47 | Posted: 25 Jun 2017 08:14 
elsslots:
I think we should follow the native speaker in this, Nan.
I´ll put an item at our bug tracking sheet.

I was only referring to me doing the backend and being less invested in the front end. ;)

Solivagant's findings are fixed. Will look into Future WHS now.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#48 | Posted: 25 Jun 2017 08:20 
Assif:
I don't understand what Year Redrewn is. It is currently an empty category.

Afghanistan Aì Khanum 1983 1983

Refers to sites that were pulled and reentered at a later stage. But given all movements are shown, I think we are fine just sticking with the next nomination year.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#49 | Posted: 25 Jun 2017 08:41 
nfmungard:
Redrewn

= "Withdrawn"

Author nfmungard
Registered
#50 | Posted: 25 Jun 2017 08:42 
Fixed the future years by adding the text and linking to the proper forum.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#51 | Posted: 25 Jun 2017 08:45 
Solivagant

fixed it for all occurances in the code.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#52 | Posted: 25 Jun 2017 09:50 
nfmungard:
Solivagant's findings are fixed.

Thanks

I notice that the "Full name" issue (ie. a link which just refers back to the page from which it came) applies to the T List full names as well and hasn't been changed

Author nfmungard
Registered
#53 | Posted: 25 Jun 2017 14:32 
Full name issue resolved the same way for TWHS. Files are on dropbox, so it may take a little before Els updates them, though.

Did you find any broken links or performance issues?

Author Solivagant
Registered
#54 | Posted: 25 Jun 2017 14:53 
nfmungard:
Did you find any broken links or performance issues?

Over the months I have noticed a fair number of broken links from across the many years of data gathering we have carried out - various tourist offices and links to articles etc which no longer work - I have sometimes wondered whether we should have a forum topic to report them as they only get "noticed" randomly! Is there not some sort of "tool" which can crawl through all the links on the site to see which fail? The problem would then of course be what to do about them. Articles etc are not going to be easily replaced. I guess some are more "important" than others - especially if they have come about by "error" rather than by changes at the far end

As for performance - I am finding the Community section takes a long time to load from the main tab - but it could be from my end - my village doesn't have high speed broadband but it does seem worst from that section of the site. What experiences do others get

Author nfmungard
Registered
#55 | Posted: 25 Jun 2017 16:17 
Solivagant:
Over the months I have noticed a fair number of broken links from across the many years of data gathering we have carried out

I can look into those later. I was referring to intra site links being broken. We spent some time making sure the old links get redirected.

Solivagant:
As for performance - I am finding the Community section takes a long time to load from the main tab - but it could be from my end - my village doesn't have high speed broadband but it does seem worst from that section of the site. What experiences do others get

@Els: Did you turn on caching? Looks like it's always doing a full compute.@

Author nfmungard
Registered
#56 | Posted: 26 Jun 2017 03:37 
Els deployed the latest corrected version.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#57 | Posted: 26 Jun 2017 15:19 
And now with caching. Performance gain (when you are served a cached page) should be noticeable.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#58 | Posted: 27 Jun 2017 06:28 
Thanks for the updates, and the ongoing maintenance of the site from the two of you, it is much appreciated.

One little quirk that I seem to have (an it predates this most recent batch of updates so I don't think it is related). When I'm on the home page and click one the Forum heading, the first time I do this it just refreshes the home page, then I have to click on the link again to go to the forum. It mostly isn't a big issue (and could even just be a quirk of my phone and laptop) but with some astoundingly slow train wifi can be a little frustrating.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#59 | Posted: 27 Jun 2017 06:55 
meltwaterfalls

I noticed this, too. It should be fixed in the new version. It's probably due to a html tag not being properly closed.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#60 | Posted: 27 Jun 2017 08:23 
nfmungard:
I noticed this, too. It should be fixed in the new version.

Ah great. Seems to be fixed for me now.

Page  Page 4 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website / Backlog of technical enhancements Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®