About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /

Construction works going on

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  
Author nfmungard
Registered
#46 | Posted: 4 Jan 2017 05:31 
clyde:
While I really enjoyed Kyle's reviews and pictures for El Pinacate, I'd only allow it for sites with few reviews/pictures.
I prefer 1 photo per review as it's interesting to discover different aspects/highlights picked up by different users.

Up to Els in the end. It's not really configurable as Kyle linked to an external image.

The layout gets messed up a bit and I can probably take care of it:
* The pictures are way to wide and do not match the layout we generally provide.
* A scrollbar appears at the bottom.

I do agree that for a site that has no review (and photos) by Els this is very helpful. But even if there are multiple reviews / photos I often noticed that being tied to one pic can be a bit problematic. For Cueva de los Manos a pic of the hands would seem mandatory, so everyone will put that. But that doesn't really tell the whole story of the site. Personally, I deal with this by picking a picture that adds information compared to those already present.

And Clyde, your panels are essentially a way of putting more than one pic.

One technical layout solution could be carousels:
https://v4-alpha.getbootstrap.com/components/carousel/

Author clyde
Registered
#47 | Posted: 4 Jan 2017 13:20 
I like the carousel idea too.

nfmungard, that approach you mentioned for cueva is commendable. I try to follow that approach too either providing a different element of the site (when possible) or else a different perspective, angle, lighting, etc.

The info in this website, be it reviews, pictures, links, etc. has always been very useful in preparing WH visits and the recent tweaks/changes have really added value to the site. For more photos or better quality (for WHS with several reciews), I prefer the minimal link to Flickr used sometimes by Kyle and mostly by Els.

Author clyde
Registered
#48 | Posted: 4 Jan 2017 13:21 | Edited by: clyde 
One other thing, would it be possible to update the Top 100 users by continent (perhaps this can be done automatically) ?

Author winterkjm
Registered
#49 | Posted: 4 Jan 2017 18:49 | Edited by: winterkjm 
clyde:
While I really enjoyed Kyle's reviews and pictures for El Pinacate . . .

I might have went overboard, I was very excited. :)

Author Sjobe
Registered
#50 | Posted: 5 Jan 2017 02:03 | Edited by: Sjobe 
Carousel would be cool. The problem with many photos in reviews is that the review pages could get very long, at least if the site has many reviews. But carousel would solve that problem nicely.

The other option could be to allow users to add multiple photos to reviews but to make the reviews collapsible (short excerpt + read more). That would be handy to use in mobile devices where scrolling is always tedious. But of course, if the site has only one review this option would look a bit unnecessary.

Author elsslots
Admin
#51 | Posted: 5 Jan 2017 06:10 
clyde:
One other thing, would it be possible to update the Top 100 users by continent (perhaps this can be done automatically) ?

What do you mean exactly? This one http://www.worldheritagesite.org/stats.html ?

Author clyde
Registered
#52 | Posted: 5 Jan 2017 17:44 
elsslots
Yes

Author elsslots
Admin
#53 | Posted: 6 Jan 2017 01:42 
I've updated it to represent the current status, however it is too slow to make it dynamic.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#54 | Posted: 6 Jan 2017 02:22 
elsslots
will take a look at the page. should show in current layout anyhow plus provide table sorting ;)

Author elsslots
Admin
#55 | Posted: 16 Jan 2017 00:07 
I am happy to announce that the new world map of all WHS and all their locations is available now via the Map button in the menu.
It takes a bit to load initially, but after that it is a very worthwhile tool to browse I think.

Thanks Nan!

Author nfmungard
Registered
#56 | Posted: 16 Jan 2017 03:17 | Edited by: nfmungard 
elsslots:
I am happy to announce that the new world map of all WHS and all their locations is available now via the Map button in the menu.
It takes a bit to load initially, but after that it is a very worthwhile tool to browse I think.

Thanks Nan!

Hmn. I get an error when I try to open it. You sure it works?

The javascript files look very Chinese to me:
⼯㴠䌽潬畳敲潃灭汩牥㴽⼊ 捀浯楰慬楴湯江癥汥䄠噄乁䕃彄偏 䥍䅚䥔乏੓⼯䀠硥整湲彳牵瑨灴㩳⼯慲⹷楧桴扵獵牥潣瑮湥 潣⽭潧杯敬振潬畳敲挭浯楰

My hunch is that there is an encoding error with the js source files.

Author clyde
Registered
#57 | Posted: 16 Jan 2017 06:42 
Although it takes quite a lot of time to load (much more than the previous version), it seems to work. However, the option in the previous version to get rid of the several locations was a handy one to make the map more responsive.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#58 | Posted: 16 Jan 2017 07:13 
Works for me now too, but only in IE. Problem in Chrome probably is the encoding of the html file:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14901449/chrome-displays-javascript-file-in-what-a ppears-to-be-chinese

clyde:
However, the option in the previous version to get rid of the several locations was a handy one to make the map more responsive.

Point was to actually give you a full impression of what is nearby. Not sure picking a random location per country makes sense in this context. Also won't make much of a difference performance wise.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#59 | Posted: 16 Jan 2017 10:21 
nfmungard:
Works for me now too, but only in IE. Problem in Chrome

My experience is
a. Works in Edge
b. Doesn't in Chrome
c. Whirrs away without a resolution in Android

Author elsslots
Admin
#60 | Posted: 16 Jan 2017 11:35 
Solivagant:
Doesn't in Chrome

Should work in Chrome now too.

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website / Construction works going on Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®