About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /

Construction works going on

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next »  
Author elsslots
Admin
#31 | Posted: 1 Nov 2016 11:36 
I've added some new functionality: added history to the count of visited WHS per user.
So we now can see which WHS each subscribed user has visited recently.
See 'Recently updated' on the right at : http://www.worldheritagesite.org/community.php
And 'Recently visited WHS' on each Profile page : http://www.worldheritagesite.org/profiles/provile.php?User=1770 (only one person has updated so far today).
-> building up the history has started from this morning, so all people start with their current score (version 1) and will add on from there when they update their count.

P.S.: the other change requests mentioned in the post above this one are noted and put on the todo-list

Author Solivagant
Registered
#32 | Posted: 1 Nov 2016 12:07 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Other Enhancement requests!!

1. In the Community section there are individual lists for
a. Visited WHS
b. Reviewed WHS
c. Reviewed TWHS
but not for "visited TWHS"!
Could this be added so that we can each easily see which TWHS we have visited
No particular need to have the equivalent of the Community count ("Top 25 WHS Enthusiasts" etc ) as well unless it is easier to fully "clone" the logic for personal WHS counts across to TWHS. I am aware that this would require the provision of an input screen for TWHS visits and many members may not be interested in making such an input (it requires a bit of "judgement" anyway since T List sites have no published boundaries!) - but this would primarily be a feature for individuals anyway

2. Community members now have very nice maps showing sites they have visited. I still hanker after the equivalent for "Non Visited sites" - to appear as an extra section on an individual's page. I am aware that this is probably a "niche" request as it mainly "benefits" members with a fairly large "visited count" but it could be a VERY helpful planning tool. And even those who have smaller visited lists could still find the ability to zoom in on missing sites within a country/region of use. Again it would seem largely to be a matter of cloning the logic for "visited sites" but without the need to provide an input dialog since unvisited sites can be determined as the "reciprocal" of visited ones!

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#33 | Posted: 1 Nov 2016 18:15 
I would second both of solivagant's ideas there, especially the TWHS one. I have my own incomplete list but I would certainly find it useful to log them as I went along.

Author elsslots
Admin
#34 | Posted: 2 Nov 2016 10:52 
Solivagant:
see which TWHS we have visited

I've added a form called "Your Count of Visited Tentative Sites", so you can start checking the boxes. I'll work on updating the profile page tonight, so the results will be shown there too.

In the mean time there seems to be some error in what I did yesterday, at least I don't see any list of updates sites appearing at the profile pages (empty list may mean that nothing has changed, but I am not so sure)
@Solivagant - can you elaborate (possibly via e-mail) what you did today with mrs Solivagant's count?

Author elsslots
Admin
#35 | Posted: 2 Nov 2016 13:15 
TWHS count is fully live now, including the updated profile page with a drop down list called "Visited TWHS"

I'm still struggling a bit with a side effect of the changes I made yesterday: the map now shows multiple 'ticks' for the sites visited. Working on it to get it fixed.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#36 | Posted: 2 Nov 2016 13:26 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
I've added a form called "Your Count of Visited Tentative Sites", so you can start checking the boxes. I'll work on updating the profile page tonight, so the results will be shown there too.

That was quick - thanks!
A question occurs to me - was there any particular reason why you decided many moons ago to show the "visited lists" for individuals in alpha sequence?? It isn't particularly easy to find a particular site since it requires a full appreciation of the "conventions" used to determine the titles of each site in order to do so. Nor does it provide much of a "feel" for which sites an individual has seen since they are scattered so "randomly" in terms of geography . Would not the same sequence as that used for presenting the full list (and also as used for the actual "checking") be better - i.e alpha within country?

Author nfmungard
Registered
#37 | Posted: 2 Nov 2016 17:31 
Sorry but i won't be able to Support much in Nov. Greetings from Easter Island, though ;)

Author elsslots
Admin
#38 | Posted: 3 Nov 2016 00:47 
nfmungard:
Sorry but i won't be able to Support much in Nov. Greetings from Easter Island, though ;)

You made it! Great!

I've been able to resolve the user map issue as described above myself (although you probably had found a nicer solution). So enjoy your trip.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#39 | Posted: 5 Nov 2016 19:22 
A thing that really bus me is that the forum is not responsive. Really bad on mobile devices.

Another thing I wanted to do was post formatting. But turns out this works as is with html tags. See my rapa nui post. @Els: we should add a few failsafes to prevent code injection.

Author elsslots
Admin
#40 | Posted: 12 Nov 2016 10:57 
meltwaterfalls:
Just one little thing, we don't have anything that flags up if a new review is of a Tentative Site, I think we used to have a (T). It would be useful to have some way of flagging them up.

Added it again

Author nfmungard
Registered
#41 | Posted: 23 Nov 2016 16:45 
I like Clydes multi pic. The quality of each picture is rather poor though. We could allow for grids (2x2, 2x3) and provide drill downs/pop ups or so.

@Els: What do you think?

Author nfmungard
Registered
#42 | Posted: 23 Nov 2016 16:49 
meltwaterfalls:
 Also I wanted to say thanks to nan for the reviews the layout with practical information etc. is really useful so thanks for that. I may copy some bits of that lay out in my future reviews where relevant, and mussels and pork, hmm glad you tried it so I won't have to.

Just noticed this comment in the Chile thread. Please write me an email and I will explain how. We will need to add some security features before this goes officially live. It was actually just me doing a test and it worked and now I am sticking to it.

Author clyde
Registered
#43 | Posted: 24 Nov 2016 11:53 
I used Big Huge Labs' free mosaic maker to turn 6 jpgs into one. Obviously quality suffers but its better than nothing

Author nfmungard
Registered
#44 | Posted: 4 Jan 2017 02:33 
Seems like Kyle figured out how to embed more pictures in his reviews a long time ago. See his reviews of El Pinacate. ;)

Author clyde
Registered
#45 | Posted: 4 Jan 2017 05:01 
While I really enjoyed Kyle's reviews and pictures for El Pinacate, I'd only allow it for sites with few reviews/pictures.

I prefer 1 photo per review as it's interesting to discover different aspects/highlights picked up by different users.

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website / Construction works going on Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®