How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /

WHS Circumference from Home (unvisited)

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next »  
Author MichaelN
Registered
#16 | Posted: 15 Apr 2017 12:24 
GaryArndt:
The only US site I haven't visited is Papahnaumokukea, which is pretty impossible to visit as of right now.

I have spoken a few times with https://www.miltours.com, and they are looking into a trip to Midway Atoll in mid-September. It is not listed as one of their upcoming trips, but it was mentioned in one of their recent email blasts.

Author GaryArndt
Registered
#17 | Posted: 15 Apr 2017 12:57 
MichaelN:
I have spoken a few times with https://www.miltours.com, and they are looking into a trip to Midway Atoll in mid-September. It is not listed as one of their upcoming trips, but it was mentioned in one of their recent email blasts.

Let me know! It is near the top of my priority list.

Author Colvin
Registered
#18 | Posted: 15 Apr 2017 19:13 | Edited by: Colvin 
MichaelN:
I have spoken a few times with https://www.miltours.com, and they are looking into a trip to Midway Atoll in mid-September.

Interesting, Michael. I've been keeping up with the miltours website, but I hadn't signed up for their E-mails, so I didn't realize they were considering a trip to Midway this September. I'm definitely interested in that, too.

As for the question winterkjm posed, my nearest-to-home WHS that I haven't visited are a set of three in Atlantic Canada (Grand Pré, Joggins Fossil Cliffs, and Miguasha) and the cruise-friendly St. George, Bermuda. I have no doubt I'll get to those sites, but it really comes down to a balance of vacation days during the year, and, depending on how many vacations I schedule a year, money.

As winterkjm pointed out, for those of us based in North America, the majority of our WHS require either a plane flight or a long car trip, which limits the average American traveler. For those of us who do travel through sites in North America, our WHS-visited craters on our profile pages aren't really as impressive as our European counterparts, since North American WHS are spread across such vast distances.

I do hope to hit every WHS in the US and Canada at some point, but it will take time, particularly with some of the more expensive trips like Nahanni National Park and SGang Gwaay. The number of sites that Gary has visited in Canada and the United States is very impressive, and would be about on par with someone who was able to complete Russia or China.

Author GaryArndt
Registered
#19 | Posted: 16 Apr 2017 10:08 
There are several other quests I'm on in North America as well:

- I'm close to visiting all 59 National Parks in the US. I should finish by the end of this year.
- I'm working on visiting all 417 National Park Service Sites in the US. This will take a while, but other than Alaska, it isn't particularly challenging.
- I'm about 3/4 of the way to becoming the first person to visit every national park in Canada. This is significantly harder than the US because there are so many parks north of the Arctic Circle.

Author GaryArndt
Registered
#20 | Posted: 16 Apr 2017 10:25 
Colvin:
I do hope to hit every WHS in the US and Canada at some point, but it will take time, particularly with some of the more expensive trips like Nahanni National Park and SGang Gwaay.

I recommend visiting SGang Gwaay as soon as you can. The Haida people have decided to let the totem poles go back to nature. They won't be there in a few years and they are the last standing, original totem poles from before European contact.

There is a very good chance that they will expand and rename this site to include most/all of Gwaii Haanas National Park, which it is located in.

Nahanni I suggest doing as part of a trip to Wood Buffalo. Rent a car in Edmonton and drive north. It is a day drive to Fort Smith, NWT which is in the middle of Wood Buffalo. From there you can drive to Fort Simpson, which is where you can get flights into Nahanni. From there you could drive back to Edmonton. Could visit both in about a week.

Author MichaelN
Registered
#21 | Posted: 17 Apr 2017 12:53 
I spoke this morning with Miltours and they are NOT planning on running the tour this year to Midway Atoll. Apparently, the island is overrun with seabirds, mostly albatrosses, so the FAA won't grant landing rights.

Author Colvin
Registered
#22 | Posted: 17 Apr 2017 23:47 
MichaelN:
I spoke this morning with Miltours and they are NOT planning on running the tour this year to Midway Atoll. Apparently, the island is overrun with seabirds, mostly albatrosses, so the FAA won't grant landing rights.

Well, on the one hand, it's great that bird life is doing well on Midway Island. On the other hand, it makes me wonder if they'll ever get tours back there. Thanks for the update, Michael!

GaryArndt -- Thanks for the recommendations. I had been aware that the Haida are letting the totem poles at SGang Gwaay return to nature, but have been undecided as to when I'll try to take a trip out there, since it comes at the cost of other possible vacations, both with time and cost. It looks like a very memorable site to visit, though. As for Nahanni and Wood Buffalo, it definitely makes sense to visit both on the same trip. I hadn't realized Ft. Smith was right in the middle of Wood Buffalo National Park, but that certainly means the park is accessible. As for Nahanni, I might try one of their rafting trips when I visit; I'd love to see Virginia Falls, too (though not by raft!).

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#23 | Posted: 19 Apr 2017 05:02 
nfmungard:
click on missing on your profile page and it will show the hole you created ;)

I seem to have created a band the height of Great Britain stretching from Ireland to Russia with only a few 'nail houses' remaining (St Kilda, Orkney, a cluster in South East Sweden, Kuronian Spit, Bialowieza Forest).

France is my big honey pot waiting for a short trip that will pick up the ones in the centre, amazingly I seem to have picked up everything around the coast/ fringes. Now I have my own car again a trip over is very much in our planning for future family holidays.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#24 | Posted: 19 Apr 2017 05:40 
meltwaterfalls:
I seem to have created a band the height of Great Britain stretching from Ireland to Russia

With Poland done next week, all from London to Moscow will be covered :)

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#25 | Posted: 19 Apr 2017 11:33 
winterkjm:
Islands and Protected Areas of the Gulf of California 400km

Did you not stray into the Colorado River Delta when visiting El Pinacate?

I don't blame you if you were holding out for a more representative visit, just that when I was lining this up a few years ago the two for one offer was one of the main things that was tempting me there.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#26 | Posted: 19 Apr 2017 11:40 
meltwaterfalls:

Oh I take it back, only the buffer zone goes up to El Pinicate, but the core zone is just the islands, so wouldn't really count with a drive through.

Author GaryArndt
Registered
#27 | Posted: 19 Apr 2017 13:53 
What am I missing? I don't see the map.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#28 | Posted: 19 Apr 2017 20:33 
meltwaterfalls:

Access is problematic and there are extremely limited facilities at best. I considered taking a slightly different route toward El Golfo de Santa Clara, but it wasn't going to give me any real representative visit by seeing the outskirts of the nominated area.

While visiting El Pinacate, the only real available option to visit the Islands and Protected Areas of the Gulf of California WHS is to take a bout tour from Puerto Penasco to Isle de San Jorge (Bird Island). You cannot actually go on the island, but you can kayak around it, snorkel, and swim in the area. The island is filled with important bird species and is often an ideal choice for sea lions. This is an easy trip from Puerto Penasco, and both times I visited I inquired and made tentative plans. However, weather can be a factor, time, and cost. Its a bit pricey, though not too bad. The trip out to Bird Island is essentially a day trip. As I mentioned weather is a factor, but also season, since I wasn't too inclined to get in the water during the Winter season! Next time I drive to Puerto Penasco, I will not revisit El Pinacate, so this isle day trip will be the main priority. Ideally though, flying to La Paz is the best location to see the wonders of the Gulf of California.

Author Colvin
Registered
#29 | Posted: 19 Apr 2017 20:50 | Edited by: Colvin 
GaryArndt:
What am I missing? I don't see the map.

The map many people are referring to is the one on your profile page. Thanks to Nan's and Els' upgrades, there is now an option to toggle the map between the sites you have visited and the sites you haven't visited. The link is below the map. For many European members there is a noticeable hole or crater in the map when they toggle the map to only show sites they haven't visited.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#30 | Posted: 20 Apr 2017 05:02 | Edited by: nfmungard 
@Gary:
This would be your missing map:
http://www.worldheritagesite.org/profiles/provile.php?User=385&missing

Seems you completed USA, Canada, Australia, Jordan, Israel and Ireland. Mexico seems the obvious choice for easy pickings as a North American.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? / WHS Circumference from Home (unvisited) Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®