How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /

TWHS Maps - The data

Page  Page 3 of 22:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  18  19  20  21  22  Next »  
Author Assif
Registered
#31 | Posted: 16 Feb 2017 16:00 
nfmungard:
Great Spas of Europe
Baden-Baden,48.753394,8.2123004
Bad Kissingen,50.1936666,10.069836
Bad Ems,49.5789249,6.6243196
Bad Homburg vor der Höhe,50.1962359,8.5774657
Wiesbaden,50.0821595,8.2465744
Bad Pyrmont,51.8907182,9.1870494

The last three are not included anymore.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#32 | Posted: 16 Feb 2017 16:02 
Assif:

I think they are still listed on the unesco site, but you are right. I was wondering about that myself.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#33 | Posted: 16 Feb 2017 17:39 
Solivagant:
Does anyone know a good site for converting degrees, minutes and seconds into decimal degrees. The only ones i have found require that each element be input separately - it would nice to be able to input a single lat/long as e.g N43 21 55.00 W5 50 45.60 and get it converted!

I can't find the one I used to use but if you have them on a spreadsheet then I have used Earth Point in the past to do them in bulk.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#34 | Posted: 16 Feb 2017 18:33 
Solivagant:
A q to Meltwaterfalls - if i look at Mousa etc for UK you have identified a single pair of coordinates for a site with 3 locations. I presume we cannot "know" which of the 3 locations they apply to?

On the Tlist full (Feb 2017) sheet I hadn't got around to putting in sites with multiple co-ordinates. On T-list mwf Old Map I have all three sites represented as per this version of the map. I haven't found a suitable way of getting them into the same sheet, due to my own esoteric naming system. So the co-ordinates on there could be any for of the found locations, probably the one that occurs first alphabetically.

Though I have lost my notes, so there may have been another approach, sorry for being vague on that one.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#35 | Posted: 16 Feb 2017 19:43 | Edited by: Solivagant 
nfmungard:
Assif:

I think they are still listed on the unesco site, but you are right. I was wondering about that myself.

Regarding the number of "Great Spas" - we had "news" back in May 2016 that there had been a reduction to 11 -
http://www.worldheritagesite.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=16&topic=1836& page=6#msg13856
Whether we stick with the "official" T List number of locations on this site or not I don't know - it is up to Els - to remove them wouldn't alter the Total number of T List sites and might prevent someone going to the remvoed ones in hope that they would become WHS!

Author elsslots
Admin
#36 | Posted: 16 Feb 2017 23:05 | Edited by: elsslots 
There's a first test version available for the new country maps including TWHS:
- Afghanistan: http://www.worldheritagesite.org/testt/country.php?id=125
- Albania: http://www.worldheritagesite.org/testt/country.php?id=1
- Iran: http://www.worldheritagesite.org/testt/country.php?id=52

The links to the individual TWHS pages do not work yet, and Iran is slow to load. Will be improved.

It will already be quite handy to see if the locations are right. I notice an Iranian site located in Iraq (Qasr-e Shirin) for example.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#37 | Posted: 17 Feb 2017 01:00 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
I notice an Iranian site located in Iraq (Qasr-e Shirin) for example.

I still do not understand how and why these errors are creeping in.
As far as I was aware I provided
34.522241 45.57886
for Qasr-e Shirin on the spreadsheet. I have just looked at these on Google Maps Satellite view and they are correct to the METRE!

Author elsslots
Admin
#38 | Posted: 17 Feb 2017 01:03 
elsslots:
b. I tried hard to identify the various oases with Foggaras (i.e Qanats!!) mentioned in the description but gave up beyond the main one at Timimoun – they are all supposed to be in that area anyway. It could be argued that there should be more locations.....?

I'd go for 2, as the second one is explicitly named in the TWHS description (Le Tidikelt et le gisement d'In Rhar) - we can just leave it blank if we cannot find the location

Author elsslots
Admin
#39 | Posted: 17 Feb 2017 01:12 
Solivagant:
I still do not understand how and why these errors are creeping in

I do now! Something has gone wrong between providing the data and uploading it. The location coordinates must be in the format of 34.522241, but they show in the spreadsheet as 34,522241 . So after uploading it becomes just 34.0000000. We'll have to see how to tackle that, as all Excel provided templates have the same problem. All T locations for Iran are slightly off on the map because of this problem by the way.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#40 | Posted: 17 Feb 2017 01:29 
elsslots:
but they show in the spreadsheet as 34,522241

I have just checked my spreadsheet (as you know Excel 97) - all the coordinates appear as a decimal point and not a comma. I have also looked at the "Format Cells/Number" setting and is definitely a decimal point. So when and why is this getting changed to "show" as 34,522241 at your end??

Author nfmungard
Registered
#41 | Posted: 17 Feb 2017 03:05 
Solivagant:
for Qasr-e Shirin on the spreadsheet. I have just looked at these on Google Maps Satellite view and they are correct to the METRE!

Trust in google maps and google earth may be unwarranted. There may be political reasons for incorrect maps, e.g. China, White House, ... Iraq/Iran
also comes to mind as a place where google maps may intentionally have an error.

Solivagant:
34,522241 at your end??

Because the data is converted based on the browser settings of the viewer. Best to mark the column as text, not number.

elsslots:
Iran is slow to load.

Not sure what tentative site has 1000 locations, but that's the culprit. I will review if I can do something about it, but I would recommend not showing the tentative sites by default, but only if requested. Clustering would be the solution here again.

@Els: Do you need the German data differently?

Author Solivagant
Registered
#42 | Posted: 17 Feb 2017 03:28 | Edited by: Solivagant 
nfmungard:
Trust in google maps and google earth may be unwarranted. There may be political reasons for incorrect maps, e.g. China, White House, ... Iraq/Iran
also comes to mind as a place where google maps may intentionally have an error

I can SEE the building in that position inside Iran on Google Satellite view!!!!! We must keep this discussion bounded in reality!! Els has clearly identified the issue and Google Maps is correct

nfmungard:
Because the data is converted based on the browser settings of the viewer. Best to mark the column as text, not number.

Is that what you want us to do Els??

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#43 | Posted: 17 Feb 2017 03:52 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Just as a warning Seeing the building on a Google Satellite map doesn't necessarily mean that is where it is on the Road Map version of Google Maps.

Have a look at the maps I produced when I was giving directions to Peking Man site or when The Grand Canal was added, trying to work out the areas inscribed in Beijing for an example. I can't remember if the same issue occurred in Iran though.

The coordinate issue isn't related to different use of Decimal Points and Commas in European and UK number formats at all?

Author Solivagant
Registered
#44 | Posted: 17 Feb 2017 03:56 
meltwaterfalls:
Seeing the building on a Google Satellite map doesn't necessarily mean that is where it is on the Road Map version of Google Maps.

Am not using the road map version - only my EYES!

Author nfmungard
Registered
#45 | Posted: 17 Feb 2017 04:03 
Solivagant:
Am not using the road map version - only my EYES!

No. You are using satellite data provided by google with no guaranteed precision.

Google has in the past obscured sensitive locations:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2008/12/googles_blind_spots .html

I would stick with the coordinates in google map.

Page  Page 3 of 22:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  18  19  20  21  22  Next » 
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? / TWHS Maps - The data Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®