How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /

TWHS Maps - The data

Page  Page 22 of 25:  « Previous  1  ...  21  22  23  24  25  Next »  
Author elsslots
Admin
#316 | Posted: 11 Mar 2017 11:42 | Edited by: elsslots 
hubert:
done all the recent Chinese additions or just the Bohai Golf?

I did all recent additions

Author hubert
Registered
#317 | Posted: 11 Mar 2017 12:19 
I started with the highest number in descending order (except the most recent additions), so my first was "The Chinese Section of the Silk Road". The given coordinates are not very accurate. But a bigger problem is that in Google Maps the map view and the satellite view differ, at least for the first sites around Xian.
An example: Dagoba of Kumarajiva 34.012302 108.744073

The satellite view (and Google Earth) locates the site at: 34.014025 108.739413

In particular, this is irritating when Google Maps did not flag a site.
However, I suppose it is preferred to use the Map view location?

Author elsslots
Admin
#318 | Posted: 11 Mar 2017 12:20 
hubert:
suppose it is preferred to use the Map view

Yes I think so, that's how it is displayed in default on the website

Author elsslots
Admin
#319 | Posted: 11 Mar 2017 12:36 | Edited by: elsslots 
meltwaterfalls:
The Brazilian sites were very good for their data quality with one exception which has similar issues to Solivagant's Routes of Guatemala, namely the Geoglyphs of Acre. It mentions it is made up of 410 structures in 306 locations, but names none of them. Fortunately I came across this webpage and datasets from a US academic who has been mapping them all. I've written off to ask if we can use that data in our map, so hopefully that will resolve some of those issues for us.

I've (finally) uploaded those, looks impressive: http://www.worldheritagesite.org/testt/twhs.php?id=5999

A couple are outside the Brazilian borders. Shall I remove those, meltwaterfalls?

Author hubert
Registered
#320 | Posted: 12 Mar 2017 04:12 
I've done the Chinese Section of the Silk Road submitted in 2016. It has 32 of the Land Routes and 31 Maritime Route sites.
I could not find a location for three of the Land Route sites:

21. Simsem Grottoes, Aksu Prefecture, Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region
26. Cemetery of Northern Dynasties and Sui and Tangy Dynasty in Guyuan, Guyuan City, Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region
32. Site of old Fusi City, Hainan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Qinghai Province

Author nfmungard
Registered
#321 | Posted: 14 Mar 2017 04:23 
Looking at the example re the new twhs site (Ring of Cenotes) you posted, Els, isn't Progreso as center of the impact also included?

Author elsslots
Admin
#322 | Posted: 15 Mar 2017 14:47 
Thanks to Hubert who has just submitted China, we've now completed our initial upload of all TWHS locations (as far as we could find them).

Great work guys!
We can now go on and keep on improving the data set

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#323 | Posted: 15 Mar 2017 17:29 
Yeah great work everyone. I worked for years getting the original set into some sort of shape that could inform my travel plans, but getting a reasonably comprehensive set in just a few weeks has been incredible work.

In regards to those Brazilian Geoglyphs, yeah I think it would be good to remove the ones not in Brazil, though it is only an estimate as there is no specific location mentioned in the proposal. I may have a chance to weed out the non Brazilian ones, but I have my hands full at the moment (literally at this precise moment) so it may take a while

Author Kbecq
Registered
#324 | Posted: 26 Mar 2017 15:57 
We just returned from Cyprus and noticed that on the country map the location of tentative site 'Church of Panagia Aggeloktisti' is incorrect. The church is not located in Geroskipou but in Kiti, close to Larnaca. (34°50'51.2"N 33°34'15.5"E).

Author Solivagant
Registered
#325 | Posted: 28 Mar 2017 02:28 
Correction for Daegokcheon Stream Petroglyphs, Rep of Korea
Bangudae 35.603952, 129.178413
Cheonjeon-ri 35.614557, 129.175225

Author elsslots
Admin
#326 | Posted: 28 Mar 2017 09:36 
Kbecq:
Panagia Aggeloktisti' is incorrect. The church is not located in Geroskipou but in Kiti, close to Larnaca. (34°50'51.2"N 33°34'15.5"E).

Solivagant:
Correction for Daegokcheon Stream Petroglyphs, Rep of KoreaBangudae 35.603952, 129.178413Cheonjeon-ri 35.614557, 129.175225

updated!

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#327 | Posted: 30 Mar 2017 08:18 
I was just having a look at the global T-List map (an impressive spectacle I must admit) and it looks like the Single/ Multiple colour designation is only there for a few countries/ sites.

Is that because the signifier is missing or is it just a technical glitch?

If it is missing data is that something we can help out with?

Author elsslots
Admin
#328 | Posted: 30 Mar 2017 08:30 
meltwaterfalls:
Is that because the signifier is missing or is it just a technical glitch?

I don't see any issues, can you name an example?

Author Solivagant
Registered
#329 | Posted: 30 Mar 2017 08:44 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
I don't see any issues, can you name an example?

I have just looked more closely at e.g Eire - the UK is on the same screen.
I wonder of the shade differentiation on the greys which have been chosen is a bit too little but my impression is that ALL the Eire multiple location sites are dark grey (a bit difficult to tell as there is no alternative nearby to differentiate against) whereas, for instance the nearby Slate Mining sites of N wales in UK are correctly a mixture of light and dark grey

Author elsslots
Admin
#330 | Posted: 30 Mar 2017 08:51 
Solivagant:
ALL the Eire multiple location sites are dark grey (a bit difficult to tell as there is no alternative nearby to differentiate against)

Yes that may be true. With the uploading of the most recent sets via Excel the default for all locations was Primary. Nan and I decided at some point that all locations are equal!

Now it is a bit of a mix - the older TWHS have a difference between main location and sublocations (very arbitrary), while the most recent additions mostly don't have that. Which way is the best to proceed?

Page  Page 22 of 25:  « Previous  1  ...  21  22  23  24  25  Next » 
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? / TWHS Maps - The data Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®