How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /

Those Pile Dwellings again...

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2  
Author elsslots
Admin
#16 | Posted: 17 Dec 2013 11:51 
paul:
how the piles are so well preserved at Fiavè

I don't remember seeing an explanation at the Fiave museum. What I can think of myself is that this never has been a large lake, and the piles were preserved when covered by peat. It looks like a little fish pond nowadays (the lake was larger in the past), the water level is low.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#17 | Posted: 17 Dec 2013 12:50 | Edited by: Solivagant 
paul:
how the piles are so well preserved at Fiavè

As I understand it wood can be preserved when, and as long as it stays fully waterlogged but cannot stand being dried after being wet - thus special actions had to be taken for ships like the Vasa and Mary Rose when they were raised.

The excavations at Fiave took place between 1969 -76 and, presumably, nothing was visible before that? The Nomination File does indicate some issues - "spontaneous vegataton growing on the upper parts of the piles emerging from the water of the old trenches is a serious threat ...... it is being monitored and risk assessment is under way" - Well that's ok then!! Certainly, given the way in which the piles in Els's photos are being allowed to stand proud of the water and are presumably, depending on weather and water level, both regularly drying and then getting wet again is surprising! Such wood contains potential valuable archaeological information in its dendrochronology, chemistry and biology - and no doubt in ways of which we are currently unaware. Normal good archaeological practice is to do everything possible to preserve such evidence for the future - hence the "back covering" of the site I visited and reported on near Ulm in Germany.
See http://www.sha.org/documents/Technical_briefs_articles/vol1article_05.pdf

Author clyde
Registered
#18 | Posted: 31 Mar 2014 13:34 
Soon I might have the chance to pass by this WHS and finally be able to tick it off my list and actually "see" something.

However, the museum in Fiave is only open from 14:00 to 18:00 in the weekend. Does this mean that it's not possible to see the outdoor piles in the morning or on weekdays? Are they closed to the public when the museum is closed? If I understood correctly, the museum is actually about 2 km away from the actual piles.

If anyone has an answer, please let me know. Thanks.

Author elsslots
Admin
#19 | Posted: 31 Mar 2014 23:54 | Edited by: elsslots 
The remains are always visible, they are in a field and there's no entrance. There's no direct relation to the museum.

Author clyde
Registered
#20 | Posted: 1 Apr 2014 03:13 
Ok great. Hopefully I'll make it in time to see the new museum too but it's good to know that the remains are always accessible.

Author clyde
Registered
#21 | Posted: 7 Aug 2017 17:32 | Edited by: clyde 
While visiting the Urgeschichte Museum in Blaubeuren yesterday I picked up an information leaflet on a new (?) mobile app for iphone and android phones on the prehistoric pile dwellings transnational WHS with maps and info. It's called the Palafittes guide and is free of charge.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? / Those Pile Dwellings again... Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®