WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2017 WHC - Livestream

Page  Page 20 of 24:  « Previous  1  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next »  
Author nfmungard
Registered
#286 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:03 
Allan:
Also, I thought it interesting that despite being invited to speak, ICOMOS declined to comment on the Naumburg Referal. I wonder what members of ICOMOS and IUCN feel about so many recommendations being run roughshod over?

I think they are used to it by now. I wanted to lament how terrible things have gotten, but the horse trading and expert commission recommendation being overturned happens for years (since ever?) now.

Author Khuft
Registered
#287 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:06 
Lake District inscribed (quite fast, fortunately).

Gelati should be next, I think... Hope there's not too much whining about how sad that situation is...

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#288 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:09 
If anyone fancies one of those sheep toys that were being handed out to celebrate the Lake District inscription you can get them here :)

This is shaping up to be my best year ever in terms of count of visited inscriptions.

Author elsslots
Admin
#289 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:09 
Now (again) significant boundary reduction of Bagrati / Gelati, deleting Bagrati Cathedral

Author elsslots
Admin
#290 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:10 
meltwaterfalls:
If anyone fancies one of those sheep toys that were being handed out to celebrate the Lake District inscription you can get them here :)

Especially created for the WH bid! No costs have been spared

Author Durian
Registered
#291 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:10 
Els, you forget Okinoshima! It is already inscribed with all component.

Author Khuft
Registered
#292 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:11 | Edited by: Khuft 
nfmungard:
I think they are used to it by now. I wanted to lament how terrible things have gotten, but the horse trading and expert commission recommendation being overturned happens for years (since ever?) now.

To be fair, this is inherent in the whole system. It's not ICOMOS (which has its own faults) or IUCN that inscribes sites, but the Committee - the members of which have their own sites to inscribe further down the line. As such, it is eminently political, as are all UN bodies.

Author elsslots
Admin
#293 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:11 
meltwaterfalls:
This is shaping up to be my best year ever in terms of count of visited inscriptions.

Probably it is my worst. I only got 1 (Venetian Defence Works) and no hope for others

Author elsslots
Admin
#294 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:13 
Durian:
Els, you forget Okinoshima! It is already inscribed with all component.

Thanks for reminding, Durian! It did not get reported this morning, and after I came home this afternoon I just typed up what you all wrote down here.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#295 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:14 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Allan:
I'm always surprised by seemingly how little appreciation or understanding there is of the guidelines by the committee.

Yet they (or some of them!!!!) were up in arms for that very first nomination under this item (i.e Hebron ) when the Secretariat made a change to the draft decision without fully going through "procedure" - the delegates possess a very conventient "knowledge" of and regard for "procedures" -

Author Khuft
Registered
#296 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:18 
No comments whatsoever on Gelati. Change approved.

Author Khuft
Registered
#297 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:23 | Edited by: Khuft 
Strasbourg extension next - should be a shoo-in.

Kuwait representative supports because he has studied in Strasbourg. "I have tears in my eyes"...

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#298 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:30 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
elsslots:
No costs have been spared

Well they do have plenty of wool to play with up there :)

elsslots:
I only got 1 (Venetian Defence Works) and no hope for others

I'm en-route for four new ones, (three of them today), Sambor Prei Kuk, Lake District, Venitian Defence Works and Valongo Wharf.

Though as a note Valongo Wharf is only up for inscription on Criterion (vi): be directly or tangibly associated with events or living traditions, with ideas, or with beliefs, with artistic and literary works of outstanding universal significance, which should only be used in association with other criteria. I doubt it will cause issues with this committee, but worth noting.

Plus I visited the additional parts added to the Beech Forests, Strasbourg and did a drive by of the Bauhaus extension. So some sort of involvement in seven of the approved sites.

Author elsslots
Admin
#299 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:35 
bauhaus extension now

Author Khuft
Registered
#300 | Posted: 9 Jul 2017 11:36 | Edited by: Khuft 
Bauhaus extension next - approved.

Page  Page 20 of 24:  « Previous  1  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2017 WHC - Livestream Top
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®