WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2016 WHC - Livestream

Page  Page 4 of 19:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17  18  19  Next »  
Author Colvin
Registered
#46 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 05:23 
I was amused by that, too!

Author warwass
Registered
#47 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 05:31 
winterkjm:
2 years in a row poetry

And next year we'll have Yazd. Myabe some verses from Mirza Mohammad Farrokhi Yazdi or Vahshi Bafqi?

Author winterkjm
Registered
#48 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 05:31 | Edited by: winterkjm 
First comment from Japanese representative since examining nominations. Congratulations and shared commitment as Japan supported preservation efforts at Nan Madol.

Author Colvin
Registered
#49 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 05:35 
I appreciated the Filipino representative highlighting the importance of prioritizing sites in danger from smaller countries over sites from countries over-represented on the list.

Author Colvin
Registered
#50 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 05:39 
The Polish representative has a background in maritime archaeology, and is very concerned any underwater repairwork doesn't damage any part of the site.

Nan Madol is inscribed!

Author winterkjm
Registered
#51 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 05:41 
Micronesian delegate is emotional in his speech. His climate change concerns in the Pacific region and the 1st WHS for his country are particularly poignant.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#52 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 05:43 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Next is Stećci—Medieval Tombstones (transnational nomination)! Unlike the Indian and Iranian sites, I don't believe this nomination will be overturned and inscribed. We shall see!

Author Colvin
Registered
#53 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 05:54 
ICOMOS is laying out reasons why the nomination should be deferred, but I like the representative's acknowledgement of World Heritage as a catalyst for peace with transnational nominations, as countries work together to preserve heritage.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#54 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 06:04 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Meeting will continue after lunch. So far, Stećci—Medieval Tombstones has support for inscription (Lebanon was first to support). The Committee is moved by the cooperation of the 4 countries despite the historical conflicts that once separated them.

Author Colvin
Registered
#55 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 06:05 
Adjourned for lunch. Now a challenge -- can I get through airport security before the afternoon session...

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#56 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 06:16 
Thanks for the updates this morning.
Colvin:
can I get through airport security before the afternoon session

I'm envious of anyone being off travelling, best of luck where ever you may be heading.

Author Colvin
Registered
#57 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 08:06 
Thanks. I made it to the airport and through security in time, but I'm not confident in the connection for watching the afternoon session. I may have to rely on reading updates if the live feed doesn't work.

Author Colvin
Registered
#58 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 08:46 
Afternoon session has started. There's continued support for the nomination, and particularly for how this nomination bridges ethnic and religious boundaries. Azeri representative mentions Azerbaijan has similar sites from Christian backgrounds that they also seek to protect, and they recognize the importance of protecting heritage despite cultural differences.

Finland would have liked more time for the parties to address ICOMOS recommendations through a deferment, but they will go along with the majority and approve an amended inscription.

Author Colvin
Registered
#59 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 09:01 
The Medieval Tombstones were not dead on arrival despite the ICOMOS recommendation of a deferment. The symbolism of the Balkan neighbors working together on this transnational nomination to protect shared heritage carried the day. The state parties did have to clarify that Tusla (sp?) and Pari (sp?) had been dropped from the nomination after a question was brought up as to how many sites/parts were included in the serial property nomination.

Stecci - Medieval Tombstones inscribed on criteria iii and vi.

Author Colvin
Registered
#60 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 09:07 
Lots of congratulations all around for Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, and Montenegro.

Next up, Archaeological Site of Philippi.

Page  Page 4 of 19:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17  18  19  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2016 WHC - Livestream Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®