WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2016 WHC - Livestream

Page  Page 3 of 19:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17  18  19  Next »  
Author elsslots
Admin
#31 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 14:17 
I haven't seen it confirmed yet on the Unesco website under the News items. And the recordings of today's meeting are not available yet

Author elsslots
Admin
#32 | Posted: 14 Jul 2016 23:24 
elsslots:
Bialowieza Forest just placed in Danger too? (amendment of the Original proposed decision, which said a possible placement in Danger next year). I did not hear it all

I listened to it again, and it was a turn the other way: so give Poland more time, and postpone any threat to put the site in Danger.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#33 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 03:02 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Start of the first nominations begin now.

Begin with cultural nominations. ICOMOS presents China's nomination:

Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art Cultural Landscape (China) .

8 minutes from ICOMOS
12 minutes of congratulations, with small suggestions peppered in.
4 minutes from China
= Roughly 25 minutes (hopefully each recommended inscription is 20 or less)

Inscribed

Author winterkjm
Registered
#34 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 03:28 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Now we come to Nalanda (India). This should be interesting, who will support Inscription? ICOMOS lays our several problems, OUV not shown, management issues, boundary concerns, and more.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#35 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 03:37 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Vietnam quotes Finland about how the world heritage committee should follow the recommendations of the Advisory Bodies. However, Vietnam states they must be convinced first!

Vietnam
- Boundary is fine.
- OUV is there.
- Integrity is fine.
- Authenticity is fine.
- Comparative Analysis is fine.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#36 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 03:41 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Indonesia shows strong support and Nalanda in their view meets OUV. Finland, takes a mixed stance, asked for clarification on specific issues with ICOMOS.

Kuwait supports Inscription! Alongside Vietnam and Indonesia.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#37 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 03:45 | Edited by: winterkjm 
University or "center of learning" qualities of the site are enough to prove OUV for Vietnam, Indonesia, Kuwait, and now Philippines. Committee experts claim India's management of the property is adequate, Azerbaijan claims since the nation-state is India, the preservation of the site is "in good hands". Based on some of the comments, India's preservation bodies are the pinnacle that which we should aspire!

One country after another give support for inscription. "We are convinced" - Poland.

Perhaps a poor precedent for the 40th WHC, if the committee will follow (or not follow) the Advisory Bodies recommendation? Duration of discussion from ICOMOS presentation to Inscription., was 45 minutes. First overturned nomination, was there any doubt? India has a well-prepared speech about how outstanding not only Nalanda is, but also its management plan.

Inscribed!

Author clyde
Registered
#38 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 03:54 
thanks for the updates :) can't follow the live stream but at least I can follow the outcome!

Author winterkjm
Registered
#39 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 04:22 | Edited by: winterkjm 
I am worried back to back overturned nominations, the Persian Qanat (Iran) will be decided next. Nalanda at least looks stunning, and has strong claims to OUV even acknowledged by ICOMOS, and certainly described well by Solivagant's review. Paradoxivally, after Solivagant's review of his "confusing" visit to the Qanat nomination, I can't say I'm excited about the later! Who will stand up first in support for Inscription?

Author winterkjm
Registered
#40 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 04:30 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Lebanon supports inscription based on only 2 criteria, instead of all 6 cultural criteria! Portugal supports Lebanon's call for inscription based on criteria iii and iv. Kuwait claims the Persian Qanat is one of the most important sites in the world, perhaps considering their own tentative nomination planned for the coming years?

Several other state parties support inscription. When ICOMOS mentions a certain criteria shows potential OUV for a nomination, it translates to documented evidence to the WHC of OUV!

ICOMOS explicitly stated Iran submitted documentation and information after the February 28th deadline for clarifications, and therefore cannot be considered in this nomination. However, several committee members cite the additional documentation from Iran? Would the committee members have access to additional documentation that based on the operational guidelines, should not be permitted?

Author Colvin
Registered
#41 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 04:44 
Vietnam seemed to be laying on quite the superlatives for the Persian Qanat. I'll have to go back later to make sure I heard right, but here is some of what I remember:

Unique amongst 50,000 worldwide
Longest qanat in world (80km?)
Deepest water well
Double and triple channels (or was it arches over channels?)

Vietnam is just one of many in favor of inscription.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#42 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 05:06 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Vietnam is confused by ICOMOS words in their evaluation and their clarifications now. Vietnam's support based on 3 criteria is ignored, and criteria iii and iv are accepted. So now two Deferred nominations are overturned in favor of inscription.

Inscribed!

Iranian delegate recites poetry! The Vietnam representative poses for pictures with Iranian representative. Long minutes of celebration from the Iranian delegation.

Now Nan Madol, excited for this inclusion.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#43 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 05:11 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Well - quite a morning for me!!! 2 personal visited ticks arising from 2 overturned deferral recommendations!! And 2 reviews already in place on this Web site for inscribed sites!!!
The Iranian delegate is very pleased and is reciting Persian poetry!! Very "Iranian" - he takes me back to our visits 3 months ago to the memorials to Hafez and Saadi. I can't think of any other country where ordinary nationals queue (and pay) on an ordinary evening to visit the memorials to their poets and recite their poetry whilst touching the gravestone - certainly not in UK for Shakespeare.

Author Colvin
Registered
#44 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 05:13 | Edited by: Colvin 
Vietnam was really pushing for Criteria 5, and I was amused that the delegate read back ICOMOS' text from the evaluation for Criteria 5 in contrast to the ICOMOS recommendation against it at the convention. Criteria 3 and 4 were approved by the committee.

Iran is happy and quoting a poet who praised one of the qanats.

Nan Madol up next!

Author winterkjm
Registered
#45 | Posted: 15 Jul 2016 05:20 | Edited by: winterkjm 
elsslots:
And of course the Iranian delegate quotes a poet.
The poem is about drinking of wine, an activity that I thought was forbidden in modern Iran

Solivagant:
The Iranian delegate is very pleased and is reciting Persian poetry!! He takes me back to our visits 3 months ago to the memorials to Hafez and Saadi. I can't think of any other country where ordinary nationals would be queuing on an ordinary evening to visit the memorials to their poets and recite their poetry whilst touching the gravestone

2 years in a row poetry and mentions of liquor by the Iranian delegation!

Page  Page 3 of 19:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17  18  19  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2016 WHC - Livestream Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®