WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2014 WHC - Livestream

Page  Page 4 of 18:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  14  15  16  17  18  Next »  
Author elsslots
Admin
#46 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 11:36 
Next one is Barotse Cultural Landscape, proposed by ICOMOS to be deferred.
I promise to listen in closely...

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#47 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 11:39 
elsslots:
You may have to brush up your French, as the livestream in English is working badly (probably too many visitors). The French one is good.

155 people trying to watch the English version which has higher quality video. 44 trying to watch the French one.

Will have to rely on the forum for the weekend's action as I'm away so I hope you are all brushing up on your French.

Author elsslots
Admin
#48 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 11:40 
meltwaterfalls:
Will have to rely on the forum for the weekend's action

I thought you would have extra time on your hands after England's World Cup defeat(s)?? (sorry...)

Author Solivagant
Registered
#49 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 11:46 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
But I wonder which 11 countries have voted in favour?

Couldn't you tell from the "arguments" -
Indonesia, Malaysia, Kazakhstan, Turkey and Lebanon are also "Muslim" countries - making 8 with Alg/Sen/Qat.

So 3 others to find?

It is the 7 "abstentions" which really swung it - as in all the "ballots" I have been aware of in the past - if too many vote against it prevents a 2/3rd majority of voters whereas if they don't vote at all it is really the same as voting in favour. And they must perfectly well know that!! These 7 abstentions MUST have included a number of the European/Latin American countries

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#50 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 11:46 
elsslots:
I thought you would have extra time on your hands after England's World Cup defeat(s)?? (sorry...)
That is part of the reason for going away :)
Mrs Meltwaterfalls seemed very happy that our potential evening sat in an airport lounge watching England v Costa Rica probably isn't going to happen.

Author elsslots
Admin
#51 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 11:59 
elsslots:
Next one is Barotse Cultural Landscape,

discussion postponed to tomorrow morning

Author elsslots
Admin
#52 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 12:07 
Solivagant
Have you heard the decisions on the Ghana and Malawi nominations clearly? I guess both are deferred?

Author Khuft
Registered
#53 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 12:11 
According to Twitter, they were indeed deferred.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#54 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 14:42 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Concerning Battir, it should be noted there was no publicly stated opposition. After huge statements of support for inscription, led by Lebanon, but followed by several other state parties, Germany quickly proposed a secret ballot measure without further debate. ICOMOS largely sat stone faced as their evaluation and recommendation were torn apart point by point by Lebanon (some valid). ICOMOS never spoke again during this nominations evaluation.

On a side note Jamaica and Peru both supported inscription.

After the joyous celebration by Palestine, they thanked the committee for their courage in standing against confinement, exclusion, and domination. Following this speech of gratitude, the conference erupted in applause.

Israel was given the floor next, they called the inscription of Battir, a black stain on UNESCO. Moreover, Israel highlighted the operation guidelines set by UNESCO, which all state parties follow, with the sole exception of Palestine. Lastly, Israel condemned the politicization of UNESCO and called this precedent a dark day for the convention.

The Qatar chairperson followed Israel's speech, with a critique of Israel hindering advisory body efforts to evaluate the property, and placing restrictions on the site. This was also met with some applause. Battir has been updated on the UNESCO website.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#55 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 14:54 
Barotse Cultural Landscape seems to be very much on the path for Deferral as well. Perhaps after the controversial first "over-ruling", the AB evaluation recommendations will be largely adhered to.

Author Khuft
Registered
#56 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 15:14 
a pity... This is becoming a game of money (for creating expensive dossiers) and politics (see Palestine), which African nations cannot afford to play...

Author winterkjm
Registered
#57 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 16:30 | Edited by: winterkjm 
winterkjm:
The Qatar chairperson followed Israel's speech, with a critique of Israel hindering advisory body efforts to evaluate the property, and placing restrictions on the site.

To clarify this comment, and I quote the chair person, "Thank you Israel, also can I please take this opportunity to request kindly that in the future you do give access to the advisory bodies, in order to access the sites in Palestine. Thank You." (applause)

I found the chairperson's comments highly inappropriate to her position. Following the ICOMOS report, she also stated, "So are you saying that the state of Palestine is not in a state of Emergency?" .... (silence) .... "Yeah, but I know for this nomination, but Palestine is in a state of emergency, so I am just throwing this out there, stating this for my information, maybe my own ignorance."

On a side note, Senegal and Qatar committee members celebrated with Palestine sharing hugs, shaking hands, cheers, etc.

I do not necessarily have a problem with the opinion stated, but I would critique that her position as chair person is not one that is meant to criticize or favor a particular state party. Despite, Qatar's support of the stated nomination.

Author elsslots
Admin
#58 | Posted: 21 Jun 2014 00:05 | Edited by: elsslots 
winterkjm:
Battir has been updated on the UNESCO website.

They've used the wrong site number (1487 instead of 1492). Aaargh!!! So I cannot link it properly from my website. Hope they fix it.

Author elsslots
Admin
#59 | Posted: 21 Jun 2014 00:42 | Edited by: elsslots 
Khuft:
which African nations cannot afford to play...

it's true they have nobody at the WHC that advocates for them, with only 2 African member states in the current WHC (Algeria, Senegal) that even are more in the islamic camp

still wondering if Erbil will be politicised as well, and who will lead the discussion (Turkey? Lebanon?)

Author Solivagant
Registered
#60 | Posted: 21 Jun 2014 00:49 
winterkjm:
The Qatar chairperson

Interesting to have a look through her CV!! She is obviously used to getting her own way! Note - educated at Duke University NC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Mayassa_bint_Hamad_bin_Khalifa_Al-Thani

Page  Page 4 of 18:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  14  15  16  17  18  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2014 WHC - Livestream Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®