WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2017 WHC

Page  Page 14 of 16:  « Previous  1  ...  13  14  15  16  Next »  
Author winterkjm
Registered
#196 | Posted: 21 Aug 2016 11:17 
elsslots:
The Assumption Cathedral of the town-island of Sviyazhsk (Russia).

Oops, missed that one! Unfortunately, I can't go back and edit.

Author elsslots
Admin
#197 | Posted: 21 Aug 2016 11:22 
I'll add it

Author Durian
Registered
#198 | Posted: 7 Sep 2016 05:18 | Edited by: Durian 
Hi! Solivagant and Meltwaterfalls

Will visit Lake District on the way to Glasgow next month, are they any particular highlights that I must see for quick visitor in this next year nomination? and any recommend for Glasgow? Thanks

Author warwass
Registered
#199 | Posted: 7 Sep 2016 11:41 
Tarnowskie Góry Lead-Silver Mine and its Underground Water Management System (Poland) - ICOMOS experts visit just ended.
http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/slask/tarnowskie-gory-wazny-krok-w-drodze-na-liste-unesco/k 31ljp

Author warwass
Registered
#200 | Posted: 7 Sep 2016 11:51 
Do we have any news about Old town of Hebron al-Khalil & its environs or El-Bariyah: wilderness with monasteries, Palestine, mentioned in June?

Author Solivagant
Registered
#201 | Posted: 7 Sep 2016 15:05 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Durian:
Will visit Lake District on the way to Glasgow next month, are they any particular highlights that I must see for quick visitor in this next year nomination? and any recommend for Glasgow? Thanks

Re Lake District
You say "quick visit" but don't indicate what means of transport you are using "on the way to Glasgow" and what would be available to you when there.
Assuming you are going to use car or public transport rather than walking, the best picture of the Lake District is, in my view, obtained from the central town of Keswick and taking the circular route south to Seatoller, west to Buttermere over the Honister Pass and back to Keswick over the Whinlatter Pass - a round trip of a mere 28 miles. It takes in a few lakes and mountains and introduces the man-made cultural landscape aspects.
If you don't have a car then there is a bus which does it until end Oct - called the "Honister Rambler". See http://www.golakes.co.uk/Keswick-Honister-Rambler-(77-or-77A)/details/?dms=3&venue=50 54973
and
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186327-i1067-k8463245-Honister_Rambler_bus-K eswick_Lake_District_Cumbria_England.html
Really the area justifies getting off and doing some walking - weather permitting of course. You are unlikely to be equipped for mountain walking but there are nice lakeside walks near Keswick and the above bus allows getting off and on if you have a day ticket. The area is infamous for its rains and Seatoller is only a mile or so from the wettest place in England!!

I personally would stay away from the real "honeypot" area of Lake Windermere, Grasmere and Hawkshead with the cottages of poets such as Wordsworth and Potter -though the Nomination File for the Lake district does make an OUV point about the area's impact on Romantic literature and art (e.g JM Turner - https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=turner %20lake%20district ). I don't know how interested in these matters you are.

If however you are travelling between London and Glasgow by rail then the 2 main stops to get off are Kendal and Penrith. The former is better for Windermere etc and the latter for Keswick - but they both require extra transport in from the railhead. In terms of "speed" I suspect that Kendal would be a better bet so, depending on your available time and means of transport you may have to concentrate on this area.

On the other hand Keswick is only a 2 hour 15 minute drive south of Glasgow along a good and not too busy motorway (unlike many in UK!) so it might be worth considering getting quickly/directly to Glasgow and renting a car there for a 1 day return trip south - you would have plenty of time to get to Keswick and back AND see a lot of the Lake District including the above circular route.

PS. The entire Nomination File is here - http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/caringfor/projects/whs/lake-district-nomination

Re Glasgow.
A much undervalued city.
Its WHS connection is limited to the possibility of buildings by Charles Rennie Macintosh ("Glasgow style", Art Nouveau) being put on UK's T List (The evaluating Committee concluded that "Two of Mackintosh's surviving buildings had been proposed. The Panel considered that at this stage the case had not been made for potential OUV. Mackintosh was influential within Europe but often through designs which were never executed. There was uncertainty about the overall significance of his work and that of contemporary architects. Any future proposal based around his work would need to be supported by a thorough and comprehensive study of the work of architects in this era. This might be an area for research.")
If you have any interest in 19th/20th C architecture and design you might try to visit his Hill House near Glasgow ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_House,_Helensburgh ) or at least the much restored Willow Tea rooms in the city centre ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_Tearooms ). Unfortunately his Glasgow Art College suffered a bad fire a couple of years ago
The other cultural area to visit is that of the University and Kelvingrove Museum - a magnificent late Victorian "pile" with some great contents too - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvingrove_Art_Gallery_and_Museum

Given what I understand of your background you might also be interested in the Burrell Collection - A museum of Chinese and Islamic Art put together privately by a wealthy shipping magnate and housed in a purpose built structure - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrell_Collection

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#202 | Posted: 7 Sep 2016 16:12 
I don't have a huge amount to add to Solivagant's recommendations there. I've only carried out a flying visit to the Lake District, spread over two days on the way upto and back from Glasgow.

Having your own car would be the best way to explore, though if you aren't used to winding British country roads it may be worth building in some extra time to get around if you are wanting to get off the main roads.

We were pretty interested in the literary and artistic aspects of the area, so enjoyed Wordsworth's Dove Cottage, the presentation was very good, though I'm not sure how much it would appeal if you didn't have much interest in this period of English literature. We also visited John Ruskin's house at Brantwood, he was a very important figure in British art/ heritage, so I had high hopes, but I found the actual place a little disappointing.

Just incase you wanted to visit the Frontiers of the Roman Empire, Hadrian's Wall runs across the north of the area and there are selected outcrops inscribed on the coast (have a look at the map for all the locations)

If you do have your own car, then a slightly odd recommendation is for the Motorway Service Station at Tebay on the M6, I wouldn't normally recommend service stations but this place had really good local foods, I regularly reminisce about my haggis breakfast bap.

Another vote in support of Glasgow for me, though sadly my highlight was the library at the Glasgow School of Art which was destroyed a few years back, hopefully the rebuilding will bring something of it back.

Kelvin Grove was well worth a visit, I also enjoyed the new Riverside Museum. And if you are around whilst Celtic or Rangers are playing football then it could well be worth joining with the crowds somehow.

Author Durian
Registered
#203 | Posted: 8 Sep 2016 05:11 
Thanks Solivagant and Meltwaterfall,

Your information is really helpful especially the Lake District, we will drive from Lancaster to visit our friend in Strathclyde University. I am now planning to leave Lancaster in early morning to have full day in Lake District. Thanks to remind me about Hadrian Wall and food in motorway service station, Meltwaterfall, if we cannot satisfy with our food in Windermere, my friend and I can drive there to eat more!

How about Antoine Wall, are there any recommend place to see the wall near Glasgow?

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#204 | Posted: 8 Sep 2016 05:38 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Glad to be of some help.

I don't know how much time you have to play with but if you are driving from the Lake District to Glasgow, you will have to drive past New Lanark, if you were wanting to call in, you can get a general overview pretty quickly, but get a decent understanding in an hour or so. Though obviously it depends on your travel schedule and the willingness of you travelling companions.

Durian:
How about Antoine Wall, are there any recommend place to see the wall near Glasgow?

My friends up there said they all used to go on School Trips to Bearsden which is the nearest place with a reasonable amount to see.

The place that looks most interesting on the whole wall is Rough Castle which is up near Falkirk (so further away). It has stretches of wall but also the pretty unique 'Lilia' a sort of roman era mine field.

Also you will be right next to the Falkirk Wheel which may or may not be of interest, depending on how much you enjoy modern infrastructure. By that stage you wouldn't be far from the Forth Bridge to have an infrastructure day out!, then you are only a short drive from Edinburgh ...... ad infinitum

Author Solivagant
Registered
#205 | Posted: 8 Sep 2016 05:46 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Durian:

The interactive map on this web site provides details on each of the Antonine wall locations - http://www.antoninewall.org/

The Glasgow side is not considered the better and I have never visited it from there. From what I can see on the Web site the Bearsden location is probably the best one close to the city. Bearsden is a leafy upmarket suburb of Glasgow.

If you have transport and a bit more time I would recommend driving out to Falkirk and visiting "Rough Castle" at Bonnybridge. We have visited here and I would concur with the Web site which says "Although the fort is the second smallest on the wall, it is easily the best-preserved and offers the most spectacular and memorable views of the surviving Roman remains. Here you can see an excellent example of the Antonine Wall ditch, the tallest-surviving portion of rampart, defensive lilia pits to the north of the wall, and easily identifiable fort and annexe defences, including multiple ditches and gateways. This is the best site to gain an impression of how the frontier and its integral forts worked."

Very close by are 2 other rather fine "attractions"
a. The Falkirk Wheel - http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/falkirk/falkirkwheel/ i.e a "modern" version of e.g the 4 Lifts WHS in Belgium (and of several others in UK)
b. The "Kelpies" statues - https://www.visitscotland.com/blog/scotland/the-kelpies/

Both are free to view (though going up on the Lift means paying for a boat trip - which actually goes UNDER the Antonine Wall in a tunnel!)
Rough Castle is around a 45 minute drive east of Glasgow

By the way - have you visited New Lanark? It is not much off your route up the M74 to Glasgow from the Lake District and you can get a perfectly good impression of the site at any time in daylight (or even dusk) if you don't want to pay to go inside anything. In fact the Hotel is available "free" to wander around to see how the inside of one of the main factory buildings was constructed - drive all the way down there to park for free in front of it as if you were going to stay/have a meal (its upmarket restaurant actually wasn't too bad, albeit a bit pricey, when I last used it a few years ago) and you will save quite a long walk down from the "Visitors' Car Park"!!! See - http://www.newlanarkhotel.co.uk/

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#206 | Posted: 8 Sep 2016 05:49 
Jinx :)

Author Solivagant
Registered
#207 | Posted: 8 Sep 2016 06:13 
meltwaterfalls:
Jinx :)

How did you get yours on "first" - when I posted yours wasn't "there"!!!

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#208 | Posted: 8 Sep 2016 06:37 
I spent a while drafting it offline before posting, so that may have made it appear above as you were typing yours out.

Author Colvin
Registered
#209 | Posted: 8 Sep 2016 07:24 | Edited by: Colvin 
All of the above. I last traveled to Scotland this time last year, and the weather was generally clear and comfortable. Like Solivagant, I highly recommend the Rough Castle section of the Antonine Wall. If you park at Falkirk Wheel--which is an amazing work of engineering--you can walk to Rough Castle from the parking lot (follow the signs up the hill and past the upper section of the canal). The wheel is free to watch, but there was a small fee for parking. I also concur that if you are driving in southern Scotland, New Lanark is an easy stop to make for another WHS. If you are into Scottish history, Melrose Abbey is also in southern Scotland, and has some beautiful ruins as well as the supposed burial spot of Robert the Bruce's heart. I visited both Melrose Abbey and New Lanark as a day trip from Glasgow.

I really enjoyed my time in Glasgow, and am only sorry it took me until my last visit to have seen the city. I stayed in the western part of the city, near Kelvingrove, and it was very quiet and peaceful. There is a good bus network in the city, and the downtown section of the city has a very walkable pedestrian zone. The architecture downtown was worth seeing, and there's also a Scotland tourism office that offers maps, and may be able to answer any travel or logistics questions you have when there.

Author Durian
Registered
#210 | Posted: 9 Sep 2016 22:18 | Edited by: Durian 
Thanks again Solivagant, Meltwaterfalls and Colvin. All these information is really useful, we have to rewrite our plan to add one more day for New Lanark, the Kelpie Statue, Falkirk Wheel and Rough Castle in this trip :) Too bad no enough time to re-visit lovely Edinburgh again.

Page  Page 14 of 16:  « Previous  1  ...  13  14  15  16  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2017 WHC Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®