Have been to Coimbra but didn't target the University

Didn't you visit the Cathedral? The nominated zone is quite large

Author Solivagant
Registered
#167 | Posted: 23 Jun 2013 08:57 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:

Thanks - I will check

I have also "sailed" PAST the Bolgar site along the Volga so at least I was saved that "near miss" - but it may come back next year!!

Author jonathanfr
Registered
#168 | Posted: 23 Jun 2013 09:01 
Cathedral is inside the core area? I think so but we will be sure when the maps will be published.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#169 | Posted: 23 Jun 2013 09:05 
Just got in to pick up the final score

elsslots:

Central Coimbra is basically the university and associated buildings, so it would be tough to visit the city without seeing the WHS.

My final tally for the year: 1 (Coimbra) and 2 halves (Mt Etna had a great view from a plane en route to Malta, Also saw the Villa Medici Belvedere in Florence but didn't really go in.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#170 | Posted: 23 Jun 2013 09:09 | Edited by: Solivagant 
I have just remembered another "Near Miss" - the Golestan Palce. When I viisted Tehran in c 1977 the Shah was still using it for ceremonial purposes I think (those bits he hadn't knocked down) -at least I am sure it wasn't open to visit as a museum!! That's the problem with doing one's "travels" so many years ago.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#171 | Posted: 23 Jun 2013 09:20 
meltwaterfalls:
Mt Etna had a great view from a plane en route to Malta

We were discussing the "Seen from the Air" list a few days ago. The only one I "count" on this basis alone is Canaima - where we saw Angel Falls from a plane which was specifically flying past and around the Falls.

If you are lucky with a LHR landing from the East on a clear day and sitting on the right hand side you can see ALL 4 London sites one after the other - Greenwich, Tower, Westminster and Kew

Nazca Lines can only really be seen from the air but we have seen them from the ground as well.

Other mountains which can proivide great aerial views include
Teide, Everest (on a tourist flight) and the Jungfrau

Author kkanekahn
Registered
#172 | Posted: 23 Jun 2013 09:40 
Assif:
What happened with Alanya and the other Russian nomination?

ICMOS Recommended for non-inscription. So they withdraw their nomination.
Hope they will renominate soon.

Author paul
Registered
#173 | Posted: 23 Jun 2013 13:12 
Thanks for the commentary. Reading this is like listening to the Tour de France on the radio - much better than watching the real thing.

I have had a good year,
Levuka,
Hill forts,
Coimbra,
Fujisan,
Etna,
Medici villas

Author vantcj1
Registered
#174 | Posted: 23 Jun 2013 21:16 | Edited by: vantcj1 
I missed the debate from friday on...I had a very busy weekend, but I'm pleased that even when Bolgar got a referral instead of gaining inscription after the disastrous evaluation it got...most decisions sticked in some way to the original evaluation. Especially in the case of Vianden...last year so many sites that got a "no inscription" tag on the evaluation, pushed to get inscribed, and got a referral. They didnīt get what they wanted, so to speak. I would like to see this politization of decisions decrease in incoming years...

In another order of things, it's great that Asia has got the most sites inscribed this year, reaffirming the trend from past years. Particularly, China and its factory of sites have managed to become the second place in the world and it heads towards Italy. Great to see Africa waking up, but would like to see so many sites getting out of the "in danger list" in that continent. Even when the Arab Countries didn't pursue any new nomination, they still got the one that was expected to pass from last year's referral. And Latin America, one complete nomination, one inscription, as I said in another conversation, it's a trend to see this decreasement.

-And just for the record Costa Rica in Central, not South America...don't know what will come up from the Diquis sites nomination, the first of a cultural site in three decades, and the first overall in one decade. I am worried about it. Next year will be truly an interesting experience, with several complex, even transboundary sites evaluated.

Author alexlove74
Registered
#175 | Posted: 23 Jun 2013 23:34 
Sorry I couldn't really follow live the event given the time difference.. Have they done with the new inscription, or other sites may be added next days?
I could only add the Qatar site this year (I hope the detailed review I left on this site would be helpful for your travel plans) and two big near misses with the new polish churches (they don't add anything new to the list, but I'm happy I will thick another one easily) and medici villas.

Author elsslots
Admin
#176 | Posted: 24 Jun 2013 00:47 
alexlove74:
Have they done with the new inscription

They have finished

Author elsslots
Admin
#177 | Posted: 24 Jun 2013 00:48 
paul:
have had a good year,Levuka,Hill forts,Coimbra,Fujisan,Etna,Medici villas

You might be the one with the highest number of sites already visited this year!

Author winterkjm
Registered
#178 | Posted: 24 Jun 2013 01:07 | Edited by: winterkjm 
The Indian representative is currently stating "we need to look beyond inscribing villas, gardens, and decorated farm houses." Noting the fact that about half of all listed sites are from Europe/North America.

Some state parties want ICOMOS to take more than an advisory role concerning "Tentative Lists". Seemingly, they wish ICOMOS to help select the state parties tentative list and ensure likely inscription based on their view of which sites meet OUV.

Author Khuft
Registered
#179 | Posted: 24 Jun 2013 12:51 | Edited by: Khuft 
winterkjm:
Indian representative

If I was nominating sth for 2014, I'd make sure to get the Indian representative on board. He's excellent in arguing against ICOMOS and can find a twist to every site. I listened to his interventions on Coimbra (which was a referral) - and he basically went on and on about how India was also almost a Portuguese-speaking country, and how much Coimbra influenced Goa (well, yeah... as it was the most important university in Portugal at the time, you'll probably find some scholars that travelled to Goa). Similarly with Bolgar - when I briefly read the material on Bolgar, I thought the major point was the archeaological remains of ancient Volga Bulgaria, and the remains from the Golden Horde. The Indian representative transformed into the co-existence of Islam and Orthodox Christianity!

Author Solivagant
Registered
#180 | Posted: 24 Jun 2013 14:18 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Khuft:
I'd make sure to get the Indian representative on board

H.E. Vinay Sheel Oberoi
One recognises immediately the result of a residential, boys only "British Public School" education in his manner and way of arguing - still alive and well in India 66 years after the end of the Raj!! One of my interests when travelling in India is seeking out both the tangible and intangible Raj heritage!! His school was "The Doon" in leafy cool Dehra Dun. Considered one of the best such schools in India. Created by an Indian Lawyer in 1935, its first headmaster had been Head of Science at Eton and, apparently, the school's ethos owes much to that start. I love the "educational objectives" set out by him (and copied from Wiki)

"By 14 he should have learnt all the ordinary principles of social behaviour. He should know how to stand up and speak to a variety of different types of people – to his own mother, to someone else's mother, to his father, to his schoolmasters, to servants, to Mahatma Gandhi or to the Viceroy, and to do this without any self-consciousness ... At fourteen a boy should have constructed a framework of competence in language, in mathematical ability, and in social behaviour. After that age he is, as it were, filling in a design on to the framework. In short he is learning to exercise taste ... At 16, he acquired taste, a sense of the beautiful and the ugly, of the strong and the weak, of good and evil ... At 17 must come another quality, less instinctive and requiring a maturer mind: he must acquire a capacity of judgement"

Its current Head, originally from N Ireland, has passed through Rhodesia, the British School in Cairo and various UK public schools. An alumnus of "The Doon" was Rajiv Gandhi.

Beyond that Mr Oberoi seems to have had a solid (if not stellar!) rise through the Indian Civil Service background - exactly what his education had groomed him for. As for his current position - he appears to be primarily a diplomat and a bit "light" on "Heritage" experience -which perhaps explains a lot! Click CV in the folllowing link if you are interested
http://www.unesco.org/eri/cp/cp-nav.asp?country=IN

Page  Page 12 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2013 WHC - Livestream Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®