WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2012 WHC - Livestream

Page  Page 3 of 16:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14  15  16  Next »  
Author elsslots
Admin
#31 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 04:35 
They'll start with Bethlehem

Author elsslots
Admin
#32 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 05:29 
They've now gone for lunch. Nothing spectacular has happened.
I note a number of name changes, including the transformation of Skellig Michael into Sceilg Mhichíl

Author elsslots
Admin
#33 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 07:15 
Bethlehem up for secret ballot

Author Solivagant
Registered
#34 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 07:50 | Edited by: Solivagant 
But with the chair refusing to vote separately on whether an "urgent" nomination is required (remembering that ICOMOS recommended against this aspect - not inscription done "properly") but going instead for the complete text incorporating inscription, urgency, danger list etc. That decision probably favours the pro inscription group?

The whole thing is political nonsense isn't it? How can a site be inscribed when many of its "owners" don't even want it to be inscribed!!

Author elsslots
Admin
#35 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 07:56 
They're already busy for 40 minutes to organize the secret ballot... as if it is the first time ever & as if this is a big surprise this occurs

Author elsslots
Admin
#36 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 07:59 
Can we predict the outcome of the vote?
It needs a 2/3 majority.

Members are:
Algeria, PRO
Cambodia,
Colombia,
Estonia,
Ethiopia,
France,
Germany, AGAINST
India,
Iraq,
Japan,
Malaysia,
Mali,
Mexico,
Qatar,
Russian Federation,
Senegal,
Serbia,
South Africa,
Switzerland,
Thailand,
United Arab Emirates

Author elsslots
Admin
#37 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 08:03 
It seems that the Arab/Islamic countries (6) are PRO and the Europeans (5) are against. I have no idea yet about Asian countries like Cambodia or Thailand, they are very quiet

Author Euloroo
Registered
#38 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 08:04 
Solivagant:
The whole thing is political nonsense isn't it?
Don't disagree, but...
Solivagant:
How can a site be inscribed when many of its "owners" don't even want it to be inscribed!!
This is not an argument to not inscribe. They are custodians after all - not owners - and have far wider responsibilities as such.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#39 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 08:04 | Edited by: Solivagant 
You would think that Europe and Latin America/Japan (7/8?) would vote against - but no one really seems to understand the difference between a blank paper and an abstention. As I understand it (I think???) it has been agreed to have a third option ("Abstention") on the paper -this makes a lot of difference of course to the arithmetic of the 2/3rds!

It will be close!

We have an impolite saying in English about an individual or a group of people not being able to "arrange a piss up in a brewery"!! It seems to apply here!

Author elsslots
Admin
#40 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 08:22 
INSCRIPTION!

Author elsslots
Admin
#41 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 08:22 
I think the German delegate will go home now

Author Solivagant
Registered
#42 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 08:24 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Yes 13
no 6
Abst 2
So it gets accepted by ONE vote -I think that means that, if one of the abstentions had been "no" it would have failed
Columbia was clapping wildly so presumably voted in favour - or perhaps no one wants to be seen to be a country which voted against!!

Author elsslots
Admin
#43 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 08:24 
13 were PRO, so this means I think that all Asian countries supported it

Author elsslots
Admin
#44 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 08:26 
Quite a political statement of Palestine follows. Not a great idea I think

Author Solivagant
Registered
#45 | Posted: 29 Jun 2012 08:27 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
I think the German delegate will go home now

I think everyone might as well "go home" as it represents a major stage in the further politicisation of World Heritage v objective and considered inscriptions (IMHO)

(although I do get myself an additional visited "tick"!)

Page  Page 3 of 16:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14  15  16  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2012 WHC - Livestream Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®