WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2012 WHC - Livestream

Page  Page 16 of 16:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  
Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#226 | Posted: 2 Jul 2012 09:59 
elsslots:
I did drive through (by bus) the area, but did not visit any of the parks (as far as I can see now). So another one missed!

Ditto for me with the Nord Pas de Calais and to a lesser extent Walloon mining sites.

Hey ho.

Author elsslots
Admin
#227 | Posted: 2 Jul 2012 12:03 
I have to recover from the past intensive days I guess.
I keep on hearing:
- next slide please!
- the floor is yours!
- madame-chair-person (in the slow voice of the interpreter)

Author winterkjm
Registered
#228 | Posted: 2 Jul 2012 13:25 | Edited by: winterkjm 
elsslots:
I have to recover from the past intensive days I guess.
I keep on hearing:

I would add

- I would like to thank the advisory body, however...

Author elsslots
Admin
#229 | Posted: 2 Jul 2012 13:38 
congratulations to the state party for such a wonderful nomination

Author alexlove74
Registered
#230 | Posted: 2 Jul 2012 15:26 
it's only the second time since 1993 that Italy doesn't have an inscription :(

Author Durian
Registered
#231 | Posted: 2 Jul 2012 21:01 
I love this meeting, the livestream give us some insight practice during the WHC meeting, there are many interesting information:

- ICOMOS easily accept many referred sites are OK to inscribe, they even help to draft the amend decision before Madame chairperson ask! ICOMOS may already OK with the supplement document submit by state party but have no chance to amend decision until the real meeting so to strictly say that WHC overrule the ICOMOS recommendation maybe wrong

- Many no and deferred sites ask some WHC member to draft amend decision and circulate among the committee before that site presented by ICOMOS!, a real diplomatic lobbying. However sometime don't work like the case of Zadar, lead by Serbia.

- Japanese role of complomise give us some future picture that what will happen if their 2 nominations next year got no or defer by ICOMOS, many states may support them as a reward.

- I also really wonder what will happen if Hill Forts and Kremlin are still "NO" by ICOMOS again against the OUV accepted by WHC in the next time meeting.

Author hubert
Registered
#232 | Posted: 3 Jul 2012 11:01 | Edited by: hubert 
It seems that Schwetzingen will make no further attempt.
According to local newspapers, the Lord Mayor said "that it would have little prospect of success. The next steps must be discussed in the city council. A decision is expected after the summer break. However, it would be difficult to revise the nomination. The nomination is based on the elector's summer residence as a culturally and historically significant ensemble. It is hardly possible to modify this topic."

And: "Our nomination came too late, we had to compete with other similar sites that are already inscribed. However, ICOMOS has not taken into account the whole ensemble as a summer residence with its important influence on culture, music and theater. They've seen it just as a castle with a garden. It has become clear that the door is closed for more castles and gardens."
And: "The problem is that the system is not transparent. You cannot comment on that (the ICOMOS evaluation) - either in writing or orally."

The right assessment, I think. A little too late, they could have saved a lot of time, effort and money.

But I am afraid that similar strategies will be presented in the future more frequently: a combination of architectural heritage (palaces or historic town centers) with influence on ideas and culture etc. When the building itself has no OUV, the nomination will be upgraded with a historical and cultural impact. And moreover, as a serial nomination with similar sites.

Some examples can be found among the proposals that are discussed for the next German T-list:

European Health Resorts and Fashionable Spas of the 19th Century

University cities as a cultural area for more than 500 years (Marburg and Tübingen)

Jewish foundations and patronage as outstanding contribution to the modern social policy (Halberstadt and Fürth)

„Leipziger Notenspur" - 300 years history of music

Author jonathanfr
Registered
#233 | Posted: 6 Jul 2012 12:54 
Are your sure Singapore has ratified the Convention in June ? I found nothing about that.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/

Author Solivagant
Registered
#234 | Posted: 6 Jul 2012 13:54 
There was, at some point during the WHC proceedings, a "Welcome" offered out to the Singapore delegation (who WERE present!) but I can't remember the exact words used.

Certainly there is nothing on the Web from any Singapore newspaper or UNESCO source indicating that Singapore has yet "ratified" or "acceded to".

Its intended presence is identified in the "list of Participants" but NOT among the group who are "Parties to the WHC" (nor of course those on the committee itself). Instead it is listed in another category :- "Entities maintaining permanent missions to UNESCO". See http://whc.unesco.org/archive/2012/whc12-36com-inf2.pdf

So, it does indeed look as if, for some reason it hasn't formally completed ratification! Unless possibly it did it during the WHC in some ceremony - but, if so, that doesn't seem to have hit the newspapers and, in any case, I don't know if final legal "ratification" is a government action which has to take place in Singapore (or Paris?) or a "ceremonial" act which could have taken place in St Petersburg?

Author elsslots
Admin
#235 | Posted: 6 Jul 2012 14:12 
Solivagant:
I can't remember the exact words used.

What I remember is that they said Singapore ratified in June. (without using the word "ratified" - entered or something like that)

Page  Page 16 of 16:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  14  15  16 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2012 WHC - Livestream Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®